SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I'm writing to find out the real consumption of the T8 model of XC90.
I've been trying to search for any information on internet reviews but I have not yet known about that.
We were given the official (NA e EU specs) data but I would appreciate much more the knowledge of the true specs. I don't bother to receive info in NA/UK/EU values. It would be nice if we could create a list of "spoken" and "proved" data about this.

Thank you

·
Registered
478 Posts
US EPA ratings aren't completed yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It will vary more wildly than the famed British weather.How you drive it, intra city or not,charging at night and or at work will be the main determinants.

It will not be less than the T6 engine and that is as much as you can be certain of.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What are you personally getting Endee and what is your driving/charging frequency like?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think one of our Norway members was getting between 40 - 43 real world mpg. His post is somewhere here on the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean real consumption? It really depends on how often you charge it.
Yeah, you're right.
I was thinking that we could measure the consumption while full-charged or mid-charged or non-charged conditions.

It will vary more wildly than the famed British weather.How you drive it, intra city or not,charging at night and or at work will be the main determinants.

ahahahha

It will not be less than the T6 engine and that is as much as you can be certain of.
Are you really sure of that?
I have always believed that this hybrid would be revolutionary...

What are you personally getting Endee and what is your driving/charging frequency like?
I think that if I had T8 I'd charge its battery every time before I should use it.

I think one of our Norway members was getting between 40 - 43 real world mpg. His post is somewhere here on the forum.
Wow
That'd not be bad.

I am interested into city's consumption.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I think it makes sense to measure it this way:
Fully charged overnight, with a full tank of gas, start a journey that you don't charge again, and measure the miles till the gas light is on.

However this still depends on speed, temperature, road elevation, what mode and how heavy is your right foot. But at least it gives some rough idea that can be shared among people.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm writing to find out the real consumption of the T8 model of XC90.
Please check some other T8 threats, because I already post some figures. But, it won't give you a clue. The fuel consumption of hybrid cars, especially the T8, are very ambivalent. If you charge daily, commute within the e-range you get easily figures in the high 40’s. When you commute outside the e-range (e.g. no recharge at the office ) you will get about 23 mph. On the other hand, if you switch it always to power mode, or drive 120 mph at the German autobahn, you will end up around 14 mph.
I charge daily - or better after each use - and my average is now 39,8 mph.

So maybe you have to revise your question. What mpg would you achieve and I can advise you what to do ;-)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
As with other PHEVs, charging daily could allow the T8 to use no gasoline at all. There are various ways of calculating the gasoline equivalent of electricity in money or energy terms, for those interested.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the T8 is used in electric-only mode for an extended time (i.e., lots of short trips and frequent charging), will it automatically run the gas engine every once in a while to keep things moving, lubricated, etc.? I believe the Volt does this.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
As with other PHEVs, charging daily could allow the T8 to use no gasoline at all. There are various ways of calculating the gasoline equivalent of electricity in money or energy terms, for those interested.
In daily driving you see your gas level, and want to have some idea how soon/how far to refill gas. Even you remember the eMPG number it is not useful at all.
Have to rely on the computer to tell you how many miles to empty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow I am getting 29.5 on D5 with lots of short trips from cold and thought it was dreadful given 50 claimed by manufacturer (low 40s was my expectation). I am glad I didn't wait for t8. I am sure it's a great car and probably effortless pace and quiet acceleration (besides it's xc90 which is great) but I was expecting somewhere in the 70s with regular recharging and trips inside electric range - it's nearly half that. My Prius was getting 50 and that was with never seeing a plug - all energy recovery. I know a ton of extra weight makes a difference, but one would hope so would all that development effort. It really is just mainly performance. They must have had to cut regeneration to some minimal amounts to make it smooth. It appears that only electric cars built from ground up electric make sense and perhaps for now with petrol generators like i3, but any hybrid built up from conventional is only a performance car but not really an economy car. I think until they double energy storage density of the batteries and can make things fully electric with energy recovery on every wheel we should stick to regular cars.
Inductive charging is also a must for the next generation.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If you only drive about 20 miles after each charge, you surely could achieve 70mpg. I don't think there is doubt on that. Better understanding of PHEV is still needed for many people.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
. I think until they double energy storage density of the batteries and can make things fully electric with energy recovery on every wheel we should stick to regular cars.
Why?

If you get better MPG and better performance by driving a hybrid, why should we "stick to regular cars?" I understand that a hybrid costs more to buy than a similar non-hybrid, but you also get more performance. So you have to be careful to compare apples to apples. Isn't the T8 gobs more fun to drive than the D5? (no offense to the D5)

I've yet to drive a hybrid that is less fun to drive than its non-hybrid counterpart. AND the hybrid gets better MPG.

I can understand saying, "it's not worth it," but you still have to compare apples to apples to do that analysis.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If the T8 is used in electric-only mode for an extended time (i.e., lots of short trips and frequent charging), will it automatically run the gas engine every once in a while to keep things moving, lubricated, etc.? I believe the Volt does this.
Good question, but the answer is no. It's not needed because the engine has been designed for this task.
Please note the T8 doesn't have a electric-only mode. If you press the pedal too deep, the petrol engine will always take over.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Good question, but the answer is no. It's not needed because the engine has been designed for this task.
Please note the T8 doesn't have a electric-only mode. If you press the pedal too deep, the petrol engine will always take over.
Actually a better question is will the petrol engine get warmed up somehow before being suddenly started in road when more power is needed? If engine temperature is low when pedal is floored, it is not good to rev the engine high.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts