SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tire wear? Thinking of getting one, but am totally stock at this point. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If you have the stock dynamic/sport suspension, it's not a big difference. I am curious to try out Evolve's 25mm bar now that I've had ipd's 22mm for a couple months. I did not get an alignment after installing it and did not notice anything change like steering pull. I don't think it has any effect on alignment because it does not change ride height or suspension geometry.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: Does adding the rear ipd sway bar require any adjustments to alignment? W ... (Veefifty T5AWD)

I didn't get an alignment and I love the difference between it and the stock one. I'd recommend putting one on your car.

·
Registered
2021 S60 R-design
804 Posts
IDK what the point of the ipd sway bar is.
When I was doing my spring install I measured the factory bar to be 20.5mm (horizontal end links) 1mm can't make much of a difference.

I kind of want that sweet 32mm mazda3 bar mmmm

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: (zerocover)

1-2 mm will make a noticeable difference in stiffness... take a peak at the formula and a quick explanation here: http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/tantiswa.htm (shows a 24% increased stiffness with a 1mm increase in bar diameter.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: (zerocover)

Quote, originally posted by zerocover »
IDK what the point of the ipd sway bar is.
When I was doing my spring install I measured the factory bar to be 20.5mm (horizontal end links) 1mm can't make much of a difference.

I kind of want that sweet 32mm mazda3 bar mmmm

Forget the measurements...it makes a difference!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The reason diameter makes a big difference is torsional stiffness is directly proportional to the fourth power of the radius. Ignoring all other variables such as material, a 1.5mm increase (20.5 to 22mm) will be a 33% difference.
I ran the math after measuring my stock bar (sport/dynamic suspension) and the actual size of the ipd bar and the change was 23%. The ipd bar is slightly over 22mm, since it's really .875" which is 22.2mm.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (fletcher33)

Hey nice link, i used to have a site in my favorites that had a cool calculator which would automatically do the math for ya but its simple enough.

Some may not feel a difference when installing IPD's bar. I can only say thats probably because they dont drive their car past the breaking point of the stock bar to feel the difference of the new

Im sure IPD spent some time in the twisties developing this bar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.