SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all:

In order to attract Volvo's interest in the slave cylinder issues, we have to demonstrate that there is an issue.

If you have had a slave cylinder failure, please drop a note here (miles and model year, and body style would also help)

thank you

AthruC, you may post only once with your 3 failures

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Documenting Slave Cylinder Failures (FEO)

Only replaced twice - I'm only *on* my third one.

2007 Volvo S60R, Titanium Gray/Nordkap, 6MT (duh!).

Oh, how convenient. I have the paperwork right in front of me.

Quote, originally posted by Keystone Motors »

Invoice Date: 15FEB08
Mileage In: 11828

Customer states after depressing then releasing the clutch pedal is not returning in a responsive or fluid matter-(seems to stick)

Diag replace the throw out bearing, clutch shock limter, and pressure bleed system (clutch pedal)

Quote, originally posted by Keystone Motors »

Invoice Date: 28APR09
Mileage In: 23416

Customer states when cold the clutch pedal is not returning upwards proper after shifting-(See History)

Diag checked and traced to internal fault at clutch control cylinder/throw out bearing-accessed and replaced cylinder assy and lubed input shafts

·
6,436 Posts
slave cylinder and clutch assy replaced at around 49K

Keep in mind that it all depends on the way you drive; all clutches fail

·
Registered
146 Posts

I had mine replaced at 45k for a 2005 SR. VERY shortly after I bought the car, but at least it was under warranty...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: Documenting Slave Cylinder Failures (RyanD)

Mine failed at 66k. Out of warranty. I replaced it myself. Not a job I'd want to do again.

J. Clear
04 S60R

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

Slave piston failure at 125K miles, 2005, V70R.

Just in case you are in contact with someone that actually understands the difference between clutch actuation system failures, (master, slave, linkage, and hydraulic lines), versus a friction material and or friction surface, (disc, pressure plate, and flywheel), there may be some value in collecting this information. If not, it is a waste of time.

I don't recall anyone ever having an honest clutch failure (friction material or surface) that has posted on this board. I am sure they have existed, especially for the drag racers, since with AWD the clutch can take a beating as wheel spin is minimized in a hard launch. There have been probably close to 100 reports of slave cylinder failures.

Clearly mileage numbers are a very poor estimate for clutch (friction material) wear. A drag racer can tear it all up in less than a season and virtually nothing he/she can do to make the slave cylinder fail, even if they wanted to. I had 125K miles and estimate I would have gotten another 50K, if the slave cylinder had not failed.

Ford Bronco and heavier trucks, Jeep, and Triumphs are vehicles that come to mind that use the same type of integrated slave cylinder and throw out bearing, however I know none of them that have this level of failure rate.

In regard to the slave failure rate, consider that the most common failure is the piston seal. Now consider that the two front calipers have 8 very similar seals, that are activated on each brake application. Their environment is one of much greater heat and dust as well. How many failures have been reported?

If Volvo insists on specifying a lower cost, lower reliability slave cylinder, at least make it external like most other automotive designs. Continuing this design would be a show stopper for my next Volvo purchase consideration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005 V70 R slave cylinder went out with 48,000 miles. I purchased the car with 47900 miles from the dealership I work for in san jose. The only thing that saved me was cpo.......

Modified by dkmnx at 1:19 PM 5-21-2009

·
Banned
3,517 Posts

failed (exploded into cazilion peaces really) at 62104km (±38.5k miles) during August 2006 (it exploded after I reversed into my driveway gently and stepped out to open the garage
).
Out of Warranty and I didn't wanted to wait for the crap goodwill from Volvo Belgium so said to dealer to fix it at my cost asap.

Costed me 1512.06EURO. Sadly that was inclusive a new clutch-set coz they said they didn't knew what happened with pressure-group. I saw the clutch and pressure-group when I picked up my car and the clutch looked as new so if I saw it when it was removed I would have told them to put back in the old.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
MY04, changed slave at 45k. Clutch hardly had any wear.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (tomedkaz)

Quote, originally posted by tomedkaz »
slave cylinder and clutch assy replaced at around 49K

Keep in mind that it all depends on the way you drive; all clutches fail

Clutches are wear items, slave cylinders not so much.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

Needsdecaf,

can you sticky these threads related to reporting issues to volvo?

also, I wonder if it is worth searching for others who have had failures that have come and gone to the forum???

·
Registered
188 Posts
Slave failed at 76K ... 800 miles from home.
Parts from Boston Volvo Village $540 (slave, clutch, pressure plate), labor $1100

Art

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: Documenting Slave Cylinder Failures (wrc34)

Same slave - my 'new to me' V70 T5

@ 73506 miles was towed to the dealer to have the slaved replaced at a cost of ~1K by the owner.

Still the factory clutch (feels better than mine) @ 176K miles. The flywheel is a different story..

*edit* It wasn't the flywheel, it was the plugs

Modified by AthruC at 1:38 PM 5-28-2009

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FEO »
Dear all:

In order to attract Volvo's interest in the slave cylinder issues, we have to demonstrate that there is an issue.

If you have had a slave cylinder failure, please drop a note here (miles and model year, and body style would also help)

thank you

AthruC, you may post only once with your 3 failures

Failed around 39,000 miles while driving in Rush Hour Traffic on the Highway. Clutch went down and never came back up. Had clutch "sticking" for a 2 week period before failure. Also had brake fluid light low about 2 months before. Dealership "didn't find anything wrong" when I told them about the brake fluid light. Said pressure was fine...

Cost me a tow, $4500 in parts and labor for everything that got damaged due to the failure, and a rental vehicle for several weeks at a random mechanic 40+ miles away from my home.

I had a 2004 (purchased in 2003) S60R, MT.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: Documenting Slave Cylinder Failures (del)

Wow! Your "random mechanic" must have a boat payment to make that month! Even with replacing the flywheel, $3K would seem the limit.

Of course at least the "random mechanic" had the knowledge and skill to fix the problem, whereas the dealer it appears could not even diagnose it while it was displying all the classic symptoms of slave cylinder failure.

·
Registered
13 Posts

04 V70R MT -- slave cylinder failed at 40K

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
suspected at this point - will be confirmed today (hopefully)

2002 S60 T5 109k, no slipping then leaving the supermarket parking lot the clutch pedal decided it wanted to live on the floor from then on.

Edit - this failure is confirmed. Clutch and flywheel were still in excellent condition.

Modified by Bender at 2:54 PM 6-9-2009

1 - 20 of 145 Posts