SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the great things about the Sensus system is how easily things can be added to it via OTA updates. Do you think we will start to see more and more apps appear as time goes by? I'm thinking about popular stuff such as Yelp, Waze, Spotify, Pandora, etc ... This would be awesome, but I'm not sure there will be enough Volvos with the Sensus system on the road to make it worth the developer's time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know in other similar situations, the OEM will pay some or all of the costs to have existing apps (e.g. those you mentioned) adapted to the new platform. If Volvo is working with App developers in this way, it would be very useful if the Volvo Sensus team could share with us which apps they are considering adding and then allow direct feedback and voting on which ones the community might want. Is there any way to formally engage with the Volvo Sensus team to learn what is in the works or provide input/updates to them?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think 100% developers will be writing apps for the sensus system. However just don`t expect millions of apps without some sort of financial benefit to the developers. Plus you won`t be seeing angry birds being ported here as well, mostly driver-centric, safety 1st functional apps

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think 100% developers will be writing apps for the sensus system. However just don`t expect millions of apps without some sort of financial benefit to the developers. Plus you won`t be seeing angry birds being ported here as well, mostly driver-centric, safety 1st functional apps
Nowhere near enough users for any app development. The only hope is a way to deliver android and apple phone apps to Sensus. Volvo Sweden is really tone deaf or they would do it. It's easier than writing new apps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is where size matters. I'd expect developers I would focus more on Volkswagen and Toyota which pump out so many more cars and reach so many more customers. Volvo would be further down the list.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I'd like they make a space on passenger side dash to place any tablet there so passenger can enjoy her trip as well.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, good news on the app front. Based on the information released today, it looks like two of the apps I specifically mentioned in the first post will indeed be available (Pandora and Yelp).

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/...-upgrade-of-sensus.aspx?MessageID=297#post297

Starting November 23 the Courtesy Upgrade of Sensus is available for XC90 customers in Europe, North America and China. For other markets the upgrade will be available either on Nov 30 or Dec 7. Contact your dealer for information for the availability on your market. If you have taken delivery of your car before this date the car is eligible for the upgrade.

We will upgrade the software in your Volvo's Sensus Connect system to the latest version during a visit to an authorised Volvo dealer.

The upgrade provides you with access to new functions and improvements, amongst other things:

• Apple CarPlay functionality
• Real-time traffic (RTTI) in 42 countries
• New apps - including Pandora, Yelp, and Find Parking (availability dependent on market)
• New markets with support for voice control
• New and improved map format that gives the option for more in-depth detail (map installation part of upgrade)
• New filter function for free-text search for address input
• Improved system performance and stability
• Improved performance for voice control
• Improved navigation functions
• Improved performance for DAB radio
• Modifications for a problem that may give wrong positioning in the navigation system
• Rectifies a problem where SiriusXM radio stations disappear/are greyed out
• Modifications for a problem that may lead to a pop-up for seat adjustment being shown intermittently
• Improved reception for keyless locking/unlocking
• Improved Bluetooth performance and compatibility for certain devices
• Modifications for a problem where WiFi-hotspot sometimes does not start

Improvements to the Volvo On Call app
At the same time, new and improved functionality is being introduced for the Volvo On Call app. Make sure you update the app to the latest version in order to have access to the following improvements:

•Engine remote start (ERS) with Apple Watch 2.0
•Remote unlocking with Apple Watch 2.0
•Universal Windows 10 app which includes Volvo On Call desktop
•Support for Android M (6.0)
•TouchID support for iPhone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts