SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
-Yes, I have the OEM heatshield on

-No, I took it off

-No, I took it off but I added my own heatshielding

*Was supposed to be a poll but I messed up. Just post below. I'm talking about the big shield that covers most of the turbo, not the aluminum on the firewall. If you added your own heatshielding, please elaborate

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yes. Never would take it off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Mines off. Probably should put it back on though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Took it off in hopes to keep the turbo a little cooler.

·
Registered
445 Posts
mine is off

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
still on both my cars last time i checked.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Always kept it on. Hot turbo>hot engine bay temps imo

·
Registered
195 Posts
Off, cant re-attach because of obx downpipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took mine off and couldn't replace due to a larger than stock Turbo, Didn't notice any side effects (until I melted my piston which I doubt is related{still un known cause})

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Keep that bitch on for now since I'm still on the itty bitty baby turbo K24. One day I may go bigger, at that point I will do something custom.

Not on my R, but back in the day I took the heat shield off the my 95 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Took off the exhaust manifold and the O2 housing ones. Started melting stuff, melted the one of the Le Bra straps, cooked the paint on my hood with no hood heat shield, started melting other crap too. After that no more left off heat shields.

If you think about it, keeping the exhaust gases as hot as possible pre turbo makes more power not less. Turbos work not just on the pressure differential, but on the tempature differential as well. If you monitor EGT's pre and post turbo (no one does) you will see the tempature drop in post turbo EGT's.

How much thermal energy does the OEM heat shield keep in the pre turbo EGT's? Probably not much, but every little bit helps.

This is why you see turbo blankets, exhaust manifold blankets, thermal wrap on turbo bits, ceramic coatings, ect. Insulating the rest of the engine bay from these crazy hot temps doesn't hurt either.

·
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Off, added better shielding to the firewall instead. Good way to keep the turbo and manifold temps down.
Did you cover the lines that run above the turbo with anything? Or straight up the firewall?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Mine has been off for years, and i have no issues, i can't stand those things. I refuse to put it back on unless someone can show me massive benefits.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Off since 2004. Makes a good hood defroster in the winter. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts