SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many posts where people speak to how important mudflaps are. I don't quite get it. I would likely get the base white color.... does lots of junk get kicked back on the car without the flaps? Does anybody have pics of this? Is there another reason?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't have a current picture, but I drove during a rainstorm and the next day I had dirt/mud splatter all over the doors and the rear panels. Granted after I installed the flaps, we haven't had a rainstorm yet, so I can report back afterwards.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The wheel/tires stick out far enough past the side & rear facia/bumper that I think mudflaps are prudent

·
Registered
206 Posts
Living in Michigan [US] we get plenty of crappy weather :) Mud flaps are great in that they will greatly reduce [but not entirely prevent] dust, mud and snow from being splattered onto the sides of the car. We have always had them installed.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If you think you don't want mud flaps maybe order without and then see for yourself. They are really easy to install so you can always do it later.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree. Mudflaps are one of the first accessories I will install on any of my vehicles. In fact, I already ordered necessary accessories from myswedishparts.com which include the mudflaps. Other items are the all weather mats for all 3 rows, and the 3 part cargo liner, and the bumper protector. Spending this much on a vehicle, I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and protect it for the long term.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not an xc90 owner, but still applicable:
I had my S60 for 6-9 months before I bought & installed the rear flaps. The effect of road spray after that time was very pronounced; on the downward-pointing bumper face immediately behind the tires, you could see a stripe wear pattern in the bumper clear-coat that mirrored the tread block stripes on the tires.

I'd also highly recommend getting the 3M paint protection film installed...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd also highly recommend getting the 3M paint protection film installed...
Not an XC90 owner, but I can weigh in. They will save your rocker panels. I waited 2 years to put them on, and I wish I had done it sooner, it definitely helps (not cures)!

The only way I wouldn't get them is if it were a lease, and didn't care. But even then, they will 'help' keep your doors clean, and I would prefer to keep the doors looking clean.

And if you can afford a clear bra, definitely go that route, I wish I had, but I couldn't swing the cost back then, and now it's too late and not worth it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As I posted in this thread, I hate it when mudflaps aren't in body color, especially in a light color like the crystal white I'm expecting. Has anybody gotten theirs painted? I'm considering it, but I know you always have to worry about the paint cracking when doing that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As I posted in this thread, I hate it when mudflaps aren't in body color, especially in a light color like the crystal white I'm expecting. Has anybody gotten theirs painted? I'm considering it, but I know you always have to worry about the paint cracking when doing that.
Its all personal preference. I love the black grill, matt tech black wheels & mudflaps look. I wouldn't want these painted and have a feeling they wouldn't last long.
The Escalade offers color matched mudflaps but they are not as large as the XC flaps. They are more of a lip across the rear of the wheel arch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the input. still hoping for somebody to post a pic of the result of no mud flaps on a xc90

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Nice... Mudflaps in white... Hmmmm... Is that standard color? (Nice car for sure)

[XC70-MY2011-D5-SAPH.BLACK-18"MERAC-SIDE SCUFF-MUD FLAPS-ROOF SPOIL
SATNAV-SEATS: ELEC/HEATED/PERFORATED/VENT-MOONROOF-ADAPTXENON-DUAL EXHAUST-ELEC TAILGATE]

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Definetely black otherwise too Indian/Pakistani looking🏽. Black looks it belongs there!

[XC70-MY2011-D5-SAPH.BLACK-18"MERAC-SIDE SCUFF-MUD FLAPS-ROOF SPOIL
SATNAV-SEATS: ELEC/HEATED/PERFORATED/VENT-MOONROOF-ADAPTXENON-DUAL EXHAUST-ELEC TAILGATE]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts