SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

what is your experience with the PDV high power sleeve?

I'm looking for options to improve the sleeve/angle gear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have had mine for a year or so in my 05 SR. Bone stock with a few exceptions, this being one of them.
A mechanic I go to (Berkeley Bobs) put it in and he said it was overkill, and that only 1 in 10 cars get a stripped sleeve. I don’t know what the number would be if you only had R’s in your sample population...
I don’t know if this info is more confusing than helpful but here it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my sleeve stripped already so what your mechanic is saying does not apply for the kind of cars/power we are running here. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Hi guys,

what is your experience with the PDV high power sleeve?

I'm looking for options to improve the sleeve/angle gear.
if the actual PDV sleeve is of a softer metal that it would strip first which would save your angle gear shaft splines thus giving it a longer lifespan at the splines...if the PDV is made of harder metal than it will still strip your angle gear splines but you PDV sleeve will still be good...theoretically thinking it "Might" take longer time to strip the AG splines with PDV sleeve but you will "STILL" strip the AG splines and will have to replace the AG. :beer:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have nearly 190k on my 2007 S60R now. Original owner. I tuned the car and did all the usual bolts on once it was out of warranty ~60k miles and then at 125k I installed a Spec stg3+ clutch, SMF and PDV collar sleeve (7/2014). After that the car went through various upgraded turbos and a built engine. So almost 65k miles and over 5 years later on mine with no issues. I noted that my splines were in excellent shape when I swapped in the PDV sleeve so it wasn't on the way out. I also had to replace the angle gear around 2 years ago as the bearings were failing in my original angle gear... noticed no issue with splines at that point either. I do not launch the car. I do plenty of WOT pulls.

FWIW - it seems that the earlier model R's faced more issue with spline wear than the later models. I recall mention of a design change, but don't remember when that took place and whether it was specific to auto/manual/both.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW - it seems that the earlier model R's faced more issue with spline wear than the later models. I recall mention of a design change, but don't remember when that took place and whether it was specific to auto/manual/both.
That change was only for the 06-07 auto cars - stronger AG (same as the one for V8 engine), more splines and stronger sleeve. The M66 cars are running the same AG and sleeve no matter the year, assuming they have the "new" sleeve - the one with the surface hardening PN:31256008.

I'm replacing the diff in the transmission later this year so the splines will be better than OEM as Quife reportedly has tighter specs so less play. I have no idea yet how the AG splines are but I'm going to find out this week when I replace the clutch.

·
Registered
947 Posts
That change was only for the 06-07 auto cars - stronger AG (same as the one for V8 engine), more splines and stronger sleeve. The M66 cars are running the same AG and sleeve no matter the year, assuming they have the "new" sleeve - the one with the surface hardening PN:31256008.

I'm replacing the diff in the transmission later this year so the splines will be better than OEM as Quife reportedly has tighter specs so less play. I have no idea yet how the AG splines are but I'm going to find out this week when I replace the clutch.
Sleeve doesn't wear out on trans side, only on angle gear side, so Quife won't make a difference for sleeve wear.

I installed pdv in one of my cars but it's been only a year and few k miles to note any wear. Pdv collar was pita to install onto trans output - very tight. It is very important to have angle gear with unworn teeth, otherwise pdv won't help.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sleeve doesn't wear out on trans side, only on angle gear side, so Quife won't make a difference for sleeve wear.
I'm not sure it is totally true as I saw some reports of transmission side damage, but it is true that most reports I saw were about the angle gear side.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I thought the change was auto specific, but couldn't recall for sure.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Still since 2014, no complaints by anyone that could complete the install. I accepted returns twice due to the part not fitting over the mating splines.

·
Registered
410 Posts

Can you put the stronger AG from the 06-07 autos into an 04-05? Is there a different p/n?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. The collar gear/sleeve is different because the AG splines are different in number and diameter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts