SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Do we have real-time traffic on 2012 XC60 NAV system? THX.
From what I've been able to tell during travel (I do not live in a major metro) it looks like we do in major metros...it will display yellow or red arrows indicating traffic congestion on various roads. However, I defer to others more knowledgeable than I to elaborate further or debunk my statement/observations, if applicable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have others been happy with the rerouting that the Nav does to avoid congestion? I followed it several times. Once it seemed that the congestion had disipated by the time I got there or it was never that bad. Another time the rerouting seemed like it took me longer than the traffic jam.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have others been happy with the rerouting that the Nav does to avoid congestion? I followed it several times. Once it seemed that the congestion had disipated by the time I got there or it was never that bad. Another time the rerouting seemed like it took me longer than the traffic jam.
That's an interesting conundrum. I have gotten that message several times. Once I didn't follow it b/c I knew how short my travel would be even with congestion. The other times I have followed the amended route, but how woud I know how bad it would have been if I had followed the original one?

I knew yesterday about a slow convoy traveling over the Atchafalaya bridge (over a swamp and once you're on, no getting off) so changed my own route. It took navigation about four fruitless "make a legal U-turn" before it gave up and rerouted me. However, when it could have cut back over to I-10 E it re-routed me b/c of that convoy.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
It all depends on the proposed route and how bad the traffic jam is.

I am on the road a lot and, primarily, in San Diego, LA and Riverside counties. Typically, I will accept its recommendations 90% of the time especially if the deviation is not huge.

Another time, I was returning from Torrance area to Northern San Diego area. By the time I ws approaching the Irvine/Laguna Hills area, I encountered severe traffic, more than the typical Friday late afternoon traffic. It is summer time and 1/3 of LA seems to head south to San Diego...

So, for kicks, I plug in my destination to see what the system will tell me. Instead of rerouting me through Orange County, it asked me to get back on I-5 north (!) and go up to I-15 and then head south...a 50-mile trip ws going to be a 95-mile trip.

I know the area well so I plunged through the back roads of San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente. Once I ignored the system's constant rerouting for at least 4 or 5 recommendations, it took me through the coastal highway and through San Clemente thus avoiding 95% of the bottleneck at San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente areas (I-5 south) and took off. Again, I went through some long stretches with stop lights etc but I was moving. At the end, I estimated that I would have arrived at my destination within 5 minutes of either trip. One would have been much longer but highway while the other (the one I took) was shorter, a lot more lights but...more scenic!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Volvos NAV is as good as my Garmin , which has lifetime traffic and maps. I can't ask for much more than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts