SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to Keystone and they mentioned that my V70R doesn't have the under engine cover and i should get one. i've also heard that R's don't come with that cover due to heat buildup. <p>can anyone confirm or deny?

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
The Rs do not come with the skid plate. however you *can* get one since the engine cradle is the same as the V70 / XC70. There is a divergence of opinion on this topic, some think that the heat buildup would be an issue, some believe that unless you track your car you will be fine. Volvo used to mention that the skid plate was not for use on the R models and I believe IPD still has the same disclaimer on their skid plate. That being said, if you treat your car gently, are in a cooler climate and fear damaging your oil pan more than the possibility of overheating (however remote it may be) then the skid plate is for you. Get one with cooling ducts that direct the airflow over the turbo, etc.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: Do R's come with an under engine cover? (lhsa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>lhsa</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i went to Keystone and they mentioned that my V70R doesn't have the under engine cover and i should get one. i've also heard that R's don't come with that cover due to heat buildup. <p>can anyone confirm or deny?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It is always amazing how little the dealers know of these cars! <p>THEY NEVER CAME WITH AN UNDER ENGINE COVER!<p>The under engine covers that the non-R models come with is a light gauge, sheet metal cover that is at best a mud shield. It certainly is not a skid plate, would afford no protection that one might expect of a skid plate.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Yes, one should note that it is not a skid plate in the sense that say a Jeep owner might think of one. Here is a link to the IPD version of the skid plate. The Volvo OEM is somewhat similar: <A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V70XC70-2001-2007/Exterior/Aluminum-Skid-Plate/p-127-386-900" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-V7...6-900</A>/

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
I have a skid plate like the one ^ If anyone wants to make an offer on it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Do R's come with an under engine cover? (lhsa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>lhsa</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i went to Keystone and they mentioned that my V70R doesn't have the under engine cover and i should get one. <p></TD></TR></TABLE><br>If you have your receipt, please tell me who the service advisor was.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Re: Do R's come with an under engine cover? (rogersampson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rogersampson</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>The under engine covers that the non-R models come with is a light gauge, sheet metal cover that is at best a mud shield. It certainly is not a skid plate, would afford no protection that one might expect of a skid plate. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>That's interesting. My belly pan is plastic...not metal.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Do R's come with an under engine cover? (thesternowl)

You're not supposed to have ANY

·
Registered
911 Posts
Re: Do R's come with an under engine cover? (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're not supposed to have ANY</TD></TR></TABLE><p>So T5's don't have a belly pan either?<p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts