SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As i don’t like the dealers going anywhere near my car with a sponge I made these do not wash signs some time ago. This morning i updated it for Volvo as the car is going in for its first service next week and i don’t want them touching the ceramic coat with a sponge.

Anyhow, here is the item and a file to print your own if you want to use it.

Trim it, fold in half, trim the hook, laminate and trim again.

Hope you like it.

View attachment Volvo wash hanger.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/public/Car Wash Hangers/Volvo wash hanger.pdf?role=personal

Other similar files

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/Car Wash Hangers

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
This is new to me - is there an issue with sponges and ceramic coats?
Sponges can pick up debris and essentially rub that (grit) all over the paint.....very bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's not so much an issue with ceramic coatings. It's mostly because dealers aren't always careful with how they wash cars - regardless of your coatings type. If the 'wash technician' is not skilled or careful, it's easy - with a sponge, mitt, etc. to rub any dirt trapped from particularly dirty parts of your car against the rest of the car. This creates scratches and swirls in your paint. I normally don't have the dealers wash my cars for this reason. I only make an exception every once in a while if the appointment happens in the dead of our nasty western NY winters and the car is caked with salt and winter slop. Then, it's important enough to remove all that stuff to have them wash it. For these rare instances, I can then remove any scratching that might occur for these limited exceptions, when spring arrives.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's not so much an issue with ceramic coatings. It's mostly because dealers aren't always careful with how they wash cars - regardless of your coatings type. If the 'wash technician' is not skilled or careful, it's easy - with a sponge, mitt, etc. to rub any dirt trapped from particularly dirty parts of your car against the rest of the car. This creates scratches and swirls in your paint. I normally don't have the dealers wash my cars for this reason. I only make an exception every once in a while if the appointment happens in the dead of our nasty western NY winters and the car is caked with salt and winter slop. Then, it's important enough to remove all that stuff to have them wash it. For these rare instances, I can then remove any scratching that might occur for these limited exceptions, when spring arrives.
Thanks Lee! I felt this might be the case but thought perhaps I was missing additional info about the latest coatings. I agree with you about Midwest winter "crud/salt" issues. I rather not let all that gunk sit if it can be avoided. And like you, I can remove any minor scratches in the spring ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone who details their own car, with or without a ceramic coat won’t want anyone cleaning their car as the can end up scratching the paintwork.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The website where I buy most of my car detailing products offers a "NO WASH" sign for free with purchases over $95.

I do like D3ggy's sign though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Corrected version

Looks good, but needs “on pain of death” added somewhere. I would also remove the word “please”

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Looks good, but needs “on pain of death” added somewhere. I would also remove the word “please”

Not just bad for paint, it’s also bad for people with low profile wheel/tire set-ups. The Chicago dealer that washed mine after being warned not to ended replacing all four wheels and tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not just bad for paint, it’s also bad for people with low profile wheel/tire set-ups. The Chicago dealer that washed mine after being warned not to ended replacing all four wheels and tires.

The TIRES?!

·
Registered
15,767 Posts
I'm always amazed at car owners that go through sandpaper and high speed brushes with their incredibly expensive vehicles. What a way to destroy paint clarity in an instant!
Anyone who details their own car, with or without a ceramic coat won’t want anyone cleaning their car as the can end up scratching the paintwork.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The TIRES?!
Even the tires. The metal tracks that guide the car through scuffed the sidewalls.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just went over the car with detailing spray to remove the rain spots from yesterday’s trip out. I think the shine speaks for itself

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had I seen this on Friday, you’d have saved me days worth of stress and aggravation. 2 days after having PPF applied to my hood and bumper, took my car to the dealer to have the tires balanced to solve a vibration. Told the service advisor...TWICE not to wash my car, and told him why. Guess what? Yep. So now I have two areas where the film is coming up. Can’t be 100% it’s from the wash, but I contacted the shop that did the ppf and read the service manager the riot act (both before I noticed the issues) and told Volvo mgr that he’s on the hook for it if it’s screwed up. Even if it’s the installers fault, the fact that they washed it now makes them liable. Sent pics to the ppf shop and waiting for them to say bring it in or wait until the 2 week inspection/follow up. Why can’t people just follow simple directions?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts