SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my tires shredded on the highway yesterday almost causing me to run staight into a wall. I was told by the AAA guy that it was probably due to my tire being too wide. I have heard my rear tires rub a bit at highway speeds, so that may have been the cause. I'm having the tire shop who recommended me to get 225-45-17 tires to replace them with 215-45-17 tires. Just a heads up to those thinking of going to a wider tire.<P>ps. Is it okay to let the car sit on a 15 inch spare for a few days(tires are being ordered.)<P>Thanks,<BR>Brian

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Good to hear you and your car came out of it OK. Was it a sudden loss of air pressure, like a blow out? Inside edge or outside edge?<P>

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe it was a blow out. The inner edge of the tire was totally shreaded. Any reason it would be the inner edge?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by volvos70turbo:<BR><B>I believe it was a blow out. The inner edge of the tire was totally shreaded. Any reason it would be the inner edge?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think you must be using a wrong offset on the rims then.<BR>The tires must fit without a problem.<BR>Like I said in another thread, 215/45-17 is better but 225 should do fine........<BR>Maybe you picked up a rock or something which got stuck between there?<BR>

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Johann:<BR> I think the offset is ok. The wheel is 17X8 with a 40mm offset. The rep at TSW said it would fit without any problems, so did IPD.<BR>Thanks,<BR> Brian<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johann:<BR><B> I think you must be using a wrong offset on the rims then.<BR>The tires must fit without a problem.<BR>Like I said in another thread, 215/45-17 is better but 225 should do fine........<BR>Maybe you picked up a rock or something which got stuck between there?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts