SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am fitting my vehicle with new wheels and tires (same diameter as previous, but wider rubber), is it advisable to have my alignment done? <p>Oh, and i'll coin an acronym for one time use: SPITS. Search Police* I Tried Searching!<p>*ie: Mullman, UKMatt<p>

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: Do new wheels require alignment? (Mayor Sizzle)

No alignment is needed for putting on new rims/tires. Alignment is needed only if you are modifying the suspension components (ie, lowering the car).<br>

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: Do new wheels require alignment? (Mayor Sizzle)

It's not needed but it'll be ideal. I bought new tires and didn't get an alignment right away. After a long road trip, I noticed unusual tire wear. I went to get it aligned and three tires were pointing in one direction while one in the opposite. Maybe that explains high tire wear on my original.

·
Registered
239 Posts
my logical half says to get a wheel alignment after doing anything major to the wheels or tires...<p>i know some of my friends have had some problems in the long run because of the torque on the lugs. If you're gonna do it yourself, rent a torque wrench or something to make sure you're not overtightening the lugs. That can be big problems.

·
Registered
365 Posts
No alignment necessary with wheels, as was noted. If you needed an alignment with the new you'd need it aligned with the old as well. <p>I switch wheels all the time between street and track - no alignment change required.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts