SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't tried.

I can make play lists in itunes, then when in that list, CTRL-A to select all the files then drag and drop them to a folder on the USB drive. All songs in that playlist will be copied to that folder.

But I think the way an M3U playlist is supposed to work is to copy all my songs on the USB stick, then have as many M3U playlists which just point to a subset of songs. That would be nice to avoid having multiple copies of one song if its in more than one playlist.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the car right now. I put 50 songs on the usb and made a playlist of four of them.

I exported the playlist from iTunes in four different formats and none of them are readable by senses.

Anyone have any luck with playlists on usb?

·
Registered
339 Posts
What do you mean you exported the playlist? I wasn't aware that iTunes exported playlists and I'm fairly certain that it does not create m3u playlist files.

FYI, I formatted a USB drive. Placed 11 mp3's on it. Also created a m3u playlist file with 4 songs. Everything worked just fine in the car. I was able to play the mp3's and I was able to select and play the playlist.

---------------------------------

Ahhh, ok I found the iTunes export playlist. And it will create an m3u file. The problem with the created playlist is that it has the full path to the audio file. For example...

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:183,Time Will Tell - A. J. Croce
/Users/andrew/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/A. J. Croce/Cantos/01 Time Will Tell.mp3
#EXTINF:282,Play - A. J. Croce
/Users/andrew/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/A. J. Croce/Cantos/02 Play.mp3
#EXTINF:271,Maybe I'm Amazed - A. J. Croce
/Users/andrew/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/A. J. Croce/Cantos/03 Maybe I'm Amazed.mp3
You will need to open the m3u file with a text editor and remove the path leaving just the audio filenames.

Code:
01 Time Will Tell.mp3
02 Play.mp3
03 Maybe I'm Amazed.mp3
Lines starting with '#' can be deleted. Then make sure that the m3u file is in the same folder as the audio files. Copy to the usb drive and you're done.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Excellent, I didn't even look at the lists after it made them, was in a rush, and I figured it was something like that, but was in the car.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, that did it, playlist worked just fine. Thanks again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
So I've seen playlists work, i believe they were .pls file. They work fine when you first plug int he USB drive, but I've noticed that after some time, either when the car goes off or something else you can never see the playlists again unless you unplug the USB drive and plug it back in.

I've also noticed a couple other bugs in the system but I have no idea how to report them to Volvo or if they even care.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving Old Thread

What do you mean you exported the playlist? I wasn't aware that iTunes exported playlists and I'm fairly certain that it does not create m3u playlist files.

FYI, I formatted a USB drive. Placed 11 mp3's on it. Also created a m3u playlist file with 4 songs. Everything worked just fine in the car. I was able to play the mp3's and I was able to select and play the playlist.

---------------------------------

Ahhh, ok I found the iTunes export playlist. And it will create an m3u file. The problem with the created playlist is that it has the full path to the audio file. For example...

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:183,Time Will Tell - A. J. Croce
/Users/andrew/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/A. J. Croce/Cantos/01 Time Will Tell.mp3
#EXTINF:282,Play - A. J. Croce
/Users/andrew/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/A. J. Croce/Cantos/02 Play.mp3
#EXTINF:271,Maybe I'm Amazed - A. J. Croce
/Users/andrew/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/A. J. Croce/Cantos/03 Maybe I'm Amazed.mp3
You will need to open the m3u file with a text editor and remove the path leaving just the audio filenames.

Code:
01 Time Will Tell.mp3
02 Play.mp3
03 Maybe I'm Amazed.mp3
Lines starting with '#' can be deleted. Then make sure that the m3u file is in the same folder as the audio files. Copy to the usb drive and you're done.
Sorry to revive a super old thread but having no subfolders is a real pain do all songs have to be in the same folder to make a playlist for them? Relative paths don't seem to work. Is there anyway to create a playlist that will work with sensus having songs on USB in multiple folders?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry to revive a super old thread but having no subfolders is a real pain do all songs have to be in the same folder to make a playlist for them? Relative paths don't seem to work. Is there anyway to create a playlist that will work with sensus having songs on USB in multiple folders?
I tried that with my 6,000+ song collection and the car couldn't see all the folders as there's a total number limitation IIRC. I moved all the music to the root, but made one directory that has all the playlists. All the paths in the m3u files are in the form /song.mp3. HTH.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I tried that with my 6,000+ song collection and the car couldn't see all the folders as there's a total number limitation IIRC. I moved all the music to the root, but made one directory that has all the playlists. All the paths in the m3u files are in the form /song.mp3. HTH.
This is more of a response to ratcat re: relative playlists not working...

Your use of "/" rather than "\" got me to thinking...

If the underlying OS is Unix/Linux based, then all my attempts using "\" were potentially pointless. So, given the following folder structure:

Artist "A" folder
-->Artist "A" Album title "A"
------>Artist "A" Album title "A" Song 1
------>Artist "A" Album title "A" Song 2
------>Artist "A" Album title "A" Song 3

I then created a playlist with the following syntax:

/Artist "A" folder/Artist "A" Album title "A"/Artist "A" Album title "A" Song 1
/Artist "A" folder/Artist "A" Album title "A"/Artist "A" Album title "A" Song 2
/Artist "A" folder/Artist "A" Album title "A"/Artist "A" Album title "A" Song 3

And Voila! It works!

I don't know what the limitations are re: number of files / folders. My test playlist has around 200 songs in it across a couple of dozen albums. My entire collection is less than 6000 songs (probably closer to 3000-4000), but I have had around 1000 songs on my USB key and the car recognized them all in normal non-playlist use. Will continue to test and report back with any updates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts