SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was in the back country over the weekend, driving some wonderful washboard dirt roads, and a piece of my fresh air inlet hose came loose and fell off... Somewhere. I managed to get the car running again with a bush-fix (duct tape over the opening in the hose), but I'd like to know if I really need this piece, or if I can just make my bush-fix more permanent. I don't really have time to visit the local bone yards in search of a replacement, and I don't want to spend $100+ for a new hose assembly if I don't need to. The part in question is the wedge-shaped piece directly below the #11 in the diagram.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
It's a resonator, part of the hose (PN 31274568).

Was put there for a reason by Volvo but if it's working to your satisfaction running without, then by all means give it a try.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That hose serves several purposes. First, it prevents the engine from breathing hot, dirty air from the engine compartment. Second, the part it connects to (13, I think) is to help ensure it doesn't breath in water or road debris. Finally, and the resonator is part of this, it silences the intake.

You said "I managed to get the car running again." Is that to say it quit running because the part came off? If so, it must be pretty important...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I think just the resonator came off and the opening got taped over...

Reactions: Tech

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I took the intake resonator off on the V8 just to see if there was a sound difference, I couldn`t detect anything

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Yes, the resonator came off and I taped over the hole. And yes, it did die from all of the extra unmetered air coming into the intake.

It runs fine without the resonator - 200+ miles across the high desert back to civilization. I just want to be sure it won't cause any permanent damage if I continue without it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
And yes, it did die from all of the extra unmetered air coming into the intake.
Wait, where does the metering happen? If it's downstream from that hose then it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Wait, where does the metering happen? If it's downstream from that hose then it shouldn't matter.
Upstream.

It doesn't connect to number 13. It connects to the lid of the airbox (number 4) which has the MAF in it. 13 is the intake snorkel to the airbox and goes to number 3

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ah! I was reading left to right...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
On the V8 it is called air inlet #9 and is not a separate piece..... in blue. The resonator hangs on the airbox #7 and is a separate piece.....in red

·
Registered
467 Posts
We must consider it was put there for a reason but I'd lean more towards intake noise dampening than a performance enhancement.

I've seen more than one non-turbo short 6 come in with that resonator or another removed and blocked off with no apparent ill effects so shouldn't hurt yours to go without.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

I think I'll take a chance and make it permanent. I used a prescription bottle cap to cover the hole, held in place with duct tape temporarily. The permanent version will include a little RTV around the edges of the cap to make an airtight seal, and then fiberglass over that to hold it in place - paint it black and I'm done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks!

I think I'll take a chance and make it permanent. I used a prescription bottle cap to cover the hole, held in place with duct tape temporarily. The permanent version will include a little RTV around the edges of the cap to make an airtight seal, and then fiberglass over that to hold it in place - paint it black and I'm done.
it's just for air resonance, if you don't notice any weird sound (such as whistling or howling) I won't bother replacing that part. Sealing it permanently is a wise move. There's a lot of that part in the junkyard if you want one and they're cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts