SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could go to any Volvo dealer near you, not only the one you purchased your car from. PS, the first 3 years/36000 miles are free, plus my Volvo dealer washes my car.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
You could go to any Volvo dealer near you, not only the one you purchased your car from. PS, the first 3 years/36000 miles are free, plus my Volvo dealer washes my car.
That is not what the OP asked. Apparently, his Volvo retailer is 500 miles away. That is a heck of a distance...

Ideally, I would plan some sort of business/pleasure trip toward the direction of the nearest Volvo retailer and combine the visit to that area w/ the scheduled maintenance service. Otherwise, go local, save your receipts, use Volvo parts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the OP is stating that his nearest Volvo dealership is 250 miles away. He most likely owns a FE where he could be getting close to the 10k mark for an oil change. In that instance, driving 500 miles round trip may not be worthwhile for a complimentary service.

I rarely took my other vehicles under warranty to the dealership for a simple oil change, only if I had a warranty issue that I needed dealt with. I believe if you go to any licensed/certified mechanic and the mechanic performs all of the necessary checks outlined in the manual, the manufacturer is legally obligated to continue to honor their warranty regardless of where regular service is performed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Any competent mechanic should be able to change oil. My only suggestion would be to purchase a Volvo filter and give it to the mechanic to use.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
For a 2016 XC90 - assuming first oil change - I'd go to the dealer especially if you have not had any software updates, etc. Because of your distance they should also be able to check in advance based on your VIN for anything else they may want to look at / address. And I believe in the US this would all be complimentary on Volvo.

If you did opt to have someone local (non-Volvo dealer) to the oil change ... I'd insist on the Volvo filter and maybe even the Volvo spec synthetic oil (see other thread on that issue).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone - appreciate the advice. To clarify, I'm at about 10K miles so my car has been alerting me to the need to get my 1st service done. And yes, it's a 500 mile round trip to the dealer so if this first service is merely a new filter and new oil then maybe I'll give the local mechanic a try.

I have had the car in for other warranty issues already (recalls, software update, etc). So I'm at least reasonably caught up on those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi 8-track, I had same information. I ended calling my dealer and he told me that I can do this myself. I ordered oil online (because it's some kind unusual type) and refill myself. Soon I have first "proper" service and then I will go to dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts