SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to have my car detailed and asked my detailer to condition the leather. He told me that modern leathers don't need conditioning except for the perforated portions. In fact, he said the conditioner won't even penetrate the hydrophobic coating on the leather. But instead you only need some kind of protection from the sun.

I really trust this guy he's been doing it for years, but I just can't understand why Volvo says the seats need to be conditioned every quarter. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm about to have my car detailed and asked my detailer to condition the leather. He told me that modern leathers don't need conditioning except for the perforated portions. In fact, he said the conditioner won't even penetrate the hydrophobic coating on the leather. But instead you only need some kind of protection from the sun.

I really trust this guy he's been doing it for years, but I just can't understand why Volvo says the seats need to be conditioned every quarter. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.
I've used Volvo's leather care kit from day one on our 2017 and 2021, both with nappa leather. I think that's all you need. My understanding is that the detailer is correct: modern leathers are "sealed." Watever Volvo puts in their cleaning kit keeps the leather looking and feeling wonderful and removes any surface stains. And after 76k miles living in Phoenix, the 2017's leather looks and feels new.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would recommend conditioning the leather. Use a good leather cleaner and apply the conditioner. Let the car sit in the sun to get the leather really hot. This will expand the natural pores in the leather so when you apply the conditioner the leather will absorb more of it. Any good conditioner will work. The Volvo leather kit is a rebrand of the IKEA kit but with a hefty increase in price.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I use a leather cleaner every other month or so to clean off dye marks from denim/jackets/belts and then wipe the (Amber-colored) seats/dashboard down with a UV leather conditioner. Been doing this for the past 3 years, and they still look brand new with no creases/stretch-marks/sagging.

Also, I try to keep my V90 parked in shade to avoid UV exposure to the interior.

·
Registered
104 Posts
He’s not wrong, in that it doesn’t need conditioning. But 303 makes some pretty good products. They have a leather product and also an aerospace protectant. Neither leave a greasy surface. And both add to the protection that is built in.

Have you ever sat in an F-150 King Ranch - those leather seats need conditioning. They’re like a horse saddle. You can tell the difference for sure. But conditioning ours with the right product certainly won’t hurt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was considering letting him put the opti-leather product on there. But if the leather needs conditioning, that wouldn't make sense because you're putting another layer of sealant on.

If it really is sealed, then how would the conditioning products people are saying work have any effect at all on the aging of the leather. Is it placebo, different amounts of sun exposure?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been using Pinnacle leather cleaner and conditioner for years. I highly recommend it to clean and condition your interior. IMO, these are very good. You could step up to their black label but for everyday use, these will do great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts