SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question to anyone who has replaced the boots on their front right M66 axle. Do I have the wrong boot for the inner joint? I suspect the profile of the bell housing is circular, and not tri-lobe like the boot is in the picture below.

I pulled the axle because the outer boot pulled off. I replaced it last year with a kit from a local supplier, after a bunch of back and forth to get something that fit at least. Well, I thought it was pulling a bit tight but went with it. Turns out I was right and the boot pulled out from under the clamp and blew its grease all over the place.

Took a look at the inner boot too, and it's about done so I want to replace them both while I'm in here. Should likely hit the other side too...

Thanks!

Further photos...

Axle:

Outer Boot:

Inner Boot:

Axle Spline:

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Yeah wrong boot. Just buy the Volvo or GKN kit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hounddogger.

Any chance you've got a gkn part number or lookup link? Or a source? I'm not having much luck googling, all ends up at gkn site which isn't very helpful just corporate fluff stuff.

Avoiding the Volvo ones at $45+ per boot if it's reasonable to do so.

Also happen to know if it's same inner and outer boot pair for front/rear/left/right?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it's the inner boot which is giving me some difficulty.

Just an FYI/question to anyone out there:

Called Volvo, and they don't sell the rear boots separately at all - they sell the whole axle assembly! :whistle: $$$

If anyone has replaced their rear CV boots successfully and knows of manufacturer and part numbers associated, please inform!

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts