SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the codes 1F00 and 5110 stored but the CEL isn't on. Seems like that indicates the car is tuned from some other posts I've found. Is there a way to find out what kind of tune it is? My main issue is that when started cold, the engine goes to 2,000 rpm for 10 seconds before settling back down to normal.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
With engine running, hold press and hold the horn for 180 seconds and the tuners name will flash on your DIM.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The high idle cold start is normal on a factory tuned R. It's to help heat up the cat faster for emissions. Most tuners remove that feature, some only upon request. I'm sure VIDA will tell you for sure if you're tuned.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was always told not to rev a cold engine. Oil pressure doesn't build up throughout the engine for a few seconds. I haven't used my DICE in over a year. I can check this without paying for the online connection?

·
Registered
236 Posts
You don't rev it high, but those RPM's will build oil pressure quicker, and in my car at least it dies down to a normal idle in about 10 secs
Best practice is to start, wait until the oil light go off then drive gently for the first few mins until temp comes up, worst practice is idling for ages when the engines oil pressure is actually at it's lowest waiting for temp to come up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
if the vehicle is tuned vida will tell you, the message will come from the ECM saying modified map or fault ecm software (cant remember the exact message). As for who tuned the vehicle it would be almost impossible unless you contact the previous owner ofc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Vida will not say modified map, if the tune was made by a bad tuner , that set limits wrong, the ECU will just log Faults and may go into limp home mode, but if the tune is a good tune , vida will not know the ecu has a updated map/flash rom, there is a checksum that is corrected when the map is changed ,
Dave

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hi Vida will not say modified map, if the tune was made by a bad tuner , that set limits wrong, the ECU will just log Faults and may go into limp home mode, but if the tune is a good tune , vida will not know the ecu has a updated map/flash rom, there is a checksum that is corrected when the map is changed ,
Dave
You are wrong.
There will be a DTC set in CEM indicating ECM software faulty. This can only be removed when reprogramming CEM certain way or not calculating ECM checksums after modifying the calibration and disabling checksum checks (MTE/IPD tunes are done so).
If the ECM checksum is not changed, then it will match with the one stored in CEM thus the fault will not occur.
Most tuners do change the checksum because it’s normal practice. This causes a mismatch between ECM checksum and one stored in CEM for ECM. The mismatch triggers said fault code. Fault code itself has no effect whatsoever. It is solely for service people so they can see if it’s not factory tune when troubleshooting engine issues.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have a Jetta TDI and posted a scan of the engine module on a VW forum. Somebody said that it had a RocketChip tune just from the scan. I guess VW is more common for tunes so not many would know what a Volvo tune looks like or from what source.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for this very good info,
Vida does not show any fault with my 2002 D5 Tuned, it is a different ecu, Bosch EDC15C11 , My car will not run if I don't correct the checksums,
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts