SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the wheels last night off our 04 XC70 to get some Nokian WR G2s installed, and all 4 whel hubs had grease, both on the part where the wheel centerbore slips over and on the disc brake face where the wheel contacts it.

I am thinking that the previous owner did this to prevent the wheels from sticking on in order to make snow tire changeover go easier.

But, is it possible for a CV grease seal of some kind to go bad, or a way for wheel bearing grease to leak out to this area?

Just as an aside, I feel the WR G3's aren't as good in freshly fallen snow as the G2s are. I have these WR series tires on a couple of other cars.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think you are right. Previous owner or the shop where the car is serviced greased the hub. In climates where there is rust, it is common for rust to build up on the wheel hub to the point that it is difficult to take a wheel off and a heavy mallet is used to beat the wheel off the hub.

Greasing this area mitigates that for future wheel removal.

Normally when CV axle boot leak, it slings grease around the inner wheel/tire assembly and onto suspension components in the way of it.

I have seen CV axles leak through the retaining bolt to the hub, but that is generally contained inside the bore of the hub and does not get onto the brake rotor. Furthermore, for all 4 to be doing that would be highly unlikely.

FWIW, I have never seen Volvo wheel bearings leaking grease.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
A lot of people put anti seize or copper grease there too. The hub bearings are sealed. I've never seen one leak any grease. When the outer CV boots tear, they leak grease and will spray grease around your wheel well and in the barrel of the wheel. So you've got nothing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I just noticed a bit of grease seeping out from around the axle bolt on my front right side. Looks like axle grease but it's really watery/runny. I'll be swapping out axles soon enough and will see if it goes away.

This problem just developed within my ownership. Hubs were clean when I bought the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Does it have a really strong petroleum odor?
It does! I haven't had any issues lately, so that's why I'm just ignoring it for the time being. I'll examine it further once I get back from this next trip.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An thinking that the axles are gun barrel drilled and that CV grease can make its way out over time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts