SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, my air on my 2011 c70 doesn't seem to blow cold all the time, i have read where there was an issue with older AC clutches needing reshimming, is that true with an 2011 as well? I am first going to try a shot of freon on my own, but if it needed freon, wouldn't it blow cool all the time and never get cold?, i do have the exclusionary warranty so it would seem that if it is the clutch, i could let Volvo replace it under warranty, it seems to sometimes blow cold and during extremely hot days, not get cold enough, thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have noticed one weird thing with my AC is that sometimes it's not blowing cold, so I shut off the AC then turn it on and it starts to work. Not a real 'solution' but it's a quirk that I've noticed.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
yup, same in 2011. if you're under warranty just have them replace it.

HI, my air on my 2011 c70 doesn't seem to blow cold all the time, i have read where there was an issue with older AC clutches needing reshimming, is that true with an 2011 as well? I am first going to try a shot of freon on my own, but if it needed freon, wouldn't it blow cool all the time and never get cold?, i do have the exclusionary warranty so it would seem that if it is the clutch, i could let Volvo replace it under warranty, it seems to sometimes blow cold and during extremely hot days, not get cold enough, thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2011 C70 with 51K on it and started having the AC go out intermittently. The dealer kept the car for 5 days and ultimately replaced the compressor (1 week ago) under warranty. That's the good news. The bad news is that the AC is once again failing intermittently. Restarting the car sometimes gets it working but not always. With all of the humid 90+ degree weather this season in the Boston area, this is no fun. Either they put in a bad compressor or there are sensors that are malfunctioning. It's goinig back to the dealer for round 2 next week. I'll post the solution.....when it occurs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i sometimes feel it is a sensor since at lower outside air temps, it blows fine, please let me know what they find, i have a 200 deductible on my warranty so want to make sure they get it right,
update: today was a cooler, rainy day, the ac stayed on and blew cold for both legs of my commute, definitely seems like a sensor issue, since if it was the clutch, wouldn't it still have turned off today?
now need to look into what sensors control the compressor

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK...time for an update on my AC issue. We left for a 2 week driving vacation to Maine and New Brunswick on 9/10 and 3 days in, the AC failed completely. This is after they had replaced the compressor 8/27. And.....Maine and New Brunswick had record heat (90+) and humidity for the 2 weeks we were traveling. Made for some unpleasant driving days.

The car went into the dealer the day after we got back (9/23). They then determined the problem was the low side pressure switch, which they replaced. They also found a very slow leak in the AC condensor, which they also replaced. They said the leak was so slow it would not be a problem for 3 years, but decided to replace it now because it was under warranty. Actually, all of the work has been under the 5 yr, 60K warranty that was offered on the 2011 model year only. Nothing to complain about with that. I have 53K on the car and bought the extended warranty a couple of months ago extending it for 4 additional yrs, 101K miles. One problem with the top and the thing will pay for itself.

So, bottom line on the AC issue....not sure what the cause really was because they ended up replacing every major component of the AC system except the drier/accumulator. I suspect that the real culprit was the low side pressure switch. Whatever it actually was, I am very pleased to have a basically new AC system that was covered under warranty without deductible. And so far, the AC is working great!!

An off topic comment....I have had a problem from almost day one with the headliner making rub marks on the center roof panel when the top is lowered. Previous dealer had refused to do anything because they said "that is the way they made it". This dealer took the issue seriously and replaced a set of springs that retracts the headliner as they looked "stretched". They then wet sanded out the rub marks and so far the problem has not recurred. This is a common problem as I have seen these rub marks on other 2011+ C70s I see in parking lots.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi everyone, still not happy with my AC, even after AC compressor replacement, does anyone know if there is any software update that can stop the compressor from shutting down under load? i do not know if that is the problem but sometimes it is ice cold and then it just blows cool, does anyone know where the interior temperature sensor might be that would tie into the air conditioner, if there is one? I have the extended VIP warranty but do not want to spend another 100 dollars to have the dealer tell me they cant reproduce the issue, very frustrating, i see that mommere had the low side pressure switch changed, but that was after a full failure, mine works, just does not blow at a consistent cold temperature all the time, thanks all for any tips

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
when my ac went out, it was a hole in the condenser (replaced under warranty). makes me worried other road debris will knock another hole in the next 50k but fingers crossed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts