SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY: P80 v70r 3" Downpipe

Having seen this done by both Hussein and NJGB, I have long been dreaming of doing the same. I don't weld but am calling on the talents of my little brother to gift me a custom DP for xmas.

Currently, my car had the 2000 cat back which just split where where it is bonded to the stock cat. The time is right as I have also staged a 19T, Greens, R mani, silicone all around, do88 drop in cooler and an ARD tune. Very excited to put it all together on my 239k motor, hahaha madness.

Here is what I have ordered...

This is what I am shooting for using a stock angled flange that I happened upon and should accept the 3" pipe

Questions and concerns...
In choosing a flex pipe I wanted one with the interlock (non braided) inner lining which is what I ordered but they claim it is 100% stainless. Using a mig welder I am concerned about getting the mild steel to weld to the stainless ends on the flex pipe. Thoughts?

Knowing that the steel has an aluminized finish I Will be sanding the welding area with an 80 grit flap wheel. Will the aluminized finish allow me to have the whole think ceramic coated for heat reduction and overall protection of the dp?

Thanks in advance for your educated advice and insights.

Nathan
'96 854R black on black - diseased
'98 875R black on saffron 233K, Stage 0

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Take a look at yother.com. He sells complete pipes as well as the parts he uses to make his. May give you some ideas. So you are using mild steel for the pipe? Or did I misread? Hope it all works well!

·
Registered
17,313 Posts
For MIG welding, you should be able to find a wire that will allow stainless to mild steel adhesion. Probably not going to be cheap. You really should TIG weld it.

As for the aluminized finish, you should check out what temperature the ceramic gets baked on at. If its above 1200 degrees, the aluminum coating will melt and instantly oxidize and do weird things to your finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts