SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the problems my 2006 has is the center console was rocking. Pulling out the CD tray, I found the 2 screw locations fractured and "repaired":

I considered replacing the entire console, to the tune of almost $200, depending upon the supplier. I decided to try to brace it first, so I grabbed a piece of flat stock at work and drilled mounting holes in it (3.5" center to center, fyi). However, when I went to bend it to 4 1/2" wide, it couldn't take it...

I don't have a lot of spare strip steel laying around the house but as I dug around I found an almost ideal bracket - from the car itself! Yes, it's the front license plate bracket - which I had removed from the car and don't plan on re-installing.

Two new drilled holes (3.5" again) and some judicious bending results in this:

One thing I had a hell of a time with was trying to screw into the plastic with #10 x 1/2 screws. I don't have a right angle drill to pilot the holes and I couldn't force them thru with that stubby Philips screwdriver. I took a small right-angle awl (from HF) and heated it with a lighter and poked holes through the plastic as pilots for the screws.

Installed, it does the job:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow, how on earth is your stock console bracket broken? Anyways, solid looking job right there. I've taken apart my center console too because my storage box latch was broken and I had to fix it. It's pretty interesting taking apart your car, knowing how everything fits together, and what's underneath it all. :p

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is the S80 I just bought around Christmas... someone leaned on it too hard, I guess. There is no stock bracket the mounting points are molded in place and the entire area was fractures and half-assed epoxied. It felt kind of wobbly when I test drove it and of course when you stress plastic like that, it creaked too. Shouldn't be a problem now. If only I could straighten out this coolant leak, it's bugging me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ah, okay. At least you did the job right over someone elses' clown work. :cool:

http://www.tooltopia.com/uview-4839...scplp6831350&gclid=CNi5xpblxMoCFQMFaQodnRMKtg
^Have you thought of this? You need a UV light to see where a leak is specifically coming from, and I'm not sure if it's fully compatible with our vehicles (if it's going to ruin anything). UV dyes are commonly used for many types of leaks that a vehicle may have. For example, I actually smell gasoline coming through my cabin vents after a WOT haul. It's not too strong, but it's definitely a noticable smell. I think there's a potential leak with my fuel injectors/O-rings. You can use UV dye to trace where exactly gasoline, coolant, etc. is leaking from.

If you have no other choice it's probably a good shot at this issue. Take some pictures as to what you see regarding the leak.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Advance Auto has the pressure testers to borrow so I'm getting one at lunch. Going to remove the under tray, drain a gallon, mix in the dye and add it back and let the car run until the thermostat opens and circulates it everywhere. Shut it off, let it cool and then pressurize and start looking.... my fear is that it's the head gasket but I can't find the source. If it is the head, I suspect the leak us at the end of the passengers side and is hidden by half of the plastic cover that remains when you remove the other half to do the timing belt.

If it's the head gasket, I'm tempted to try a 'fix in a bottle' before I go through the ordeal of removing the head. I'm getting no blow-by into the coolant, it's perfectly clean so any leak is strictly water jacket to atmosphere....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the can of brake cleaner I shot over that side of the engine that did the trick... once the gunk was out of the way, the source of the leak became apparent..

It's the gasket between the two halves of the thermostat housing:

That's not sold as a spare, you need the entire $120 thermostat housing. Tempted to break it down and just shoot Form-A-Gasket in there.

So glad it's not the head gasket lol. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the 6-cyl thermostat is under the timing belt cover. The 5 is in a housing....it's easy to replace, just the cost when all that is needed is a gasket.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Honestly man I would buy the whole thing and just replace it even if you could buy a stand-alone gasket. There's corrosion just feasting away on that thing! LOL

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
A guy at work has one in his garage, new in the box. $40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts