SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I am getting ready to take a week long camping trip in some warm country. We did a similar trip a couple of years back in our subaru outback, and wouldn't you know it the AC failed on us in the middle of the trip. I vowed to always double-check my system before taking it on such a journey again.<p>So I looked under the hood of my XC90 (2003 T6), and it wasn't apparent to me where to hook up my can of refrigerant. Furthermore, I pulled up the re-charge instructions on VADIS (volvo software), and the instructions clearly say to only re-fill from the high-pressure port of the system, which my DIY kit says clearly not to do.<p>Anyway, I don't even think that my XC90 needs to be charged, I just wanted to check. But has anybody charged their AC system at home? Or do you need to take it into the dealer??<p>Thanks,<br>Tony

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: DIY Charging the AC Anyone?? (tpezzolo)

<p>Not hard to do with a proper set of gauges..<p>It is just plain st**id to just dump coolant in. Overcharge the system can cause the system to not function<br>properly and cause damage too.<br>

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
yes lower pressure fitting only <p>the HP one will cause , any charge you have in your system to be pushed into the can / maybe explode. <p>HP runs anywhere from 80-100psi <br>LP should be running in the 30psi range

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Chilled Man)

Have you recharged the system on an XC90 before? Where is the Low pressure fitting?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: (tpezzolo)

There is one on the left side by the belts for low pressure. <p>My dealer said it's ok to use it on the LP, but I'm confused and wish I had had a proper set of gauges, and a drain system.<p>I think mine is low on oil and also has a thermostat problem.<br>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (mcollard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mcollard</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is one on the left side by the belts for low pressure. <p>My dealer said it's ok to use it on the LP, but I'm confused and wish I had had a proper set of gauges, and a drain system.<p>I think mine is low on oil and also has a thermostat problem.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Why do you think it is low on oil?<p>Mine makes an audible moaning sound when I use the AC. Just loud enough for me to hear, but my wife doesn't notice it and its her car, so it may not be an issue. I would like to check and see if it is fully charged, but I agree, for whatever reason I am confused on this too.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: (mcollard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mcollard</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is one on the left side by the belts for low pressure. <p>My dealer said it's ok to use it on the LP, but I'm confused and wish I had had a proper set of gauges, and a drain system.<p>I think mine is low on oil and also has a thermostat problem.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>And you want to risk damage to the system by doing it yourself without gauges?<p>What is a AC service/check vs. replacing a compressor?<p>If this were a '60's car with a freon window it would be easy, but these cars are a big more expensive.<p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts