SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like to replace cabin air filters often so I figured this time I'd get a few photos so if anyone wanted to tackle this one themselves it may help.

The Cabin air filter is located on the passenger side behind the glove box. You access it from under the glovebox.

Step 1: Remove this plastic panel. It is held in by two T-20 Torx screws. Once you remove the screws you need to give it a pull down to release the clips.

Once you remove the panel you will see the following. The Cabin air filter is located in the area circled in yellow.

Step 2: Remove the following hose. You need to remove the T-20 Torx screw and pull out the hose/plug.

Step 3: The cabin filter panel has two of these locking mechanisms holding it in place. Give them a gentle turn and they will click to lock and unlock. Unlock both and pull down on the panel. You may have to give it a slight tug to get it to pop off.

Step 4: Victory! Once the panel is removed you can pull the filter out and replace it with a new one. Be sure to look at your replacement filter to see which direction you need to install it for proper air flow. In the photo you can see the dirt/debris that fell out when I removed the panel and that is only after a few months so its a good idea to replace them.

Repeat the previous steps to put it all back together and enjoy cleaner air.

Volvo OEM Part Number: 31407747

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Mark! So I don't need to pay dealership to do this. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
This will come in handy thanks very much for sharing! In general how often are people replacing the cabin filter?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Great job with the documentation and pictures! This will sure come in handy for a lot of people.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
You can leave the hose connected. It's flexible. The screws for the panel are T25 by the way. They aren't tight so a T20 will fit and be able to remove them. But if You have a T20 with some wear it might not work.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
@mods and staff... can we get a sticky for this thread? Great write up

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also may be a good idea to spray sanitizing foam into the evaporator and run the AC while the air filter is out. Doing this will eliminate any trace of the moldy vent smell, especially during AC start-up.

2015.5 XC60 T5

·
Registered
232 Posts
Be careful if ordering the FRAM replacement filter, a lot of websites list CF10435 as being compatible for a 2018 however that's actually the previous gen. I ordered one by mistake and it's definitely much smaller than what's needed. Instead, make sure you order CF12155.

Also the FRAM filter only has an arrow indicator for airflow. Does anyone know which way the arrow should be pointing? I would think airflow should be pointing from passenger to driver (inwards from outside) but the original Volvo filter seems to be the opposite. The original Volvo filter has a car diagram on it indicating airflow direction which is kind of confusing and hard to see clearly.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I like to replace cabin air filters often so I figured this time I'd get a few photos so if anyone wanted to tackle this one themselves it may help.

The Cabin air filter is located on the passenger side behind the glove box. You access it from under the glovebox.

Step 1: Remove this plastic panel. It is held in by two T-20 Torx screws. Once you remove the screws you need to give it a pull down to release the clips.

Once you remove the panel you will see the following. The Cabin air filter is located in the area circled in yellow.

Step 3: The cabin filter panel has two of these locking mechanisms holding it in place. Give them a gentle turn and they will click to lock and unlock. Unlock both and pull down on the panel. You may have to give it a slight tug to get it to pop off.

Step 4: Victory! Once the panel is removed you can pull the filter out and replace it with a new one. Be sure to look at your replacement filter to see which direction you need to install it for proper air flow. In the photo you can see the dirt/debris that fell out when I removed the panel and that is only after a few months so its a good idea to replace them.

Repeat the previous steps to put it all back together and enjoy cleaner air.

Volvo OEM Part Number: 31407747
This is a regular filter, not the Multi air filter that is built into the XC60 at the factory

Multi filter
Part Number: 31407748

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Everyone, thanks a lot for all the info.

Could someone clarify please the filter P/N for CleanAir systems?

In my V90CC the original filter is 31404469, is written on it (MAHLE).

But when I tried to get this, the parts store at Volvo Canada didn't even find this number, neither did TascaParts. Weird.

The local parts advisor told me instead should be 31407748 (same as the one corrected in OP here).

I got the new one, but when I looked and compared them, there is a slight difference, the original one seems to be Mahle "re-enforced" with thin wires on both sides, the new one "Volvo" and only on one side. Both are gray, and otherwise same.
Any thoughts anyone please?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought this one and it looks just like the OEM I replaced it with last night. Same dimensions too. $28.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great write up, it was easy except for the contortions of squeezing into the footwell to put the filter in. I think I’ll be able to do it without crawling in next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts