SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the V70 in for the 60k service and the shop says the fronts are toast and the rears aren't far behind. Opted to keep my money in my wallet and do the job myself. I haven't looked yet, but I doubt they're lying - big heavy cars use brakes and the pedal has very long travel (way longer than the '06 S60 loaner).<p>Anyways, are there any caveats or tricks with the V70 brakes (T5 if it matters)? I've done plenty of brakes on other cars, so I'm familiar with brakes in general.<p>Do the calipers push in with a C-clamp? Or need spun out with a wrench?<p>Does the ABS need bled via a 5th bleed screw, or do I just bleed the four wheels normally (back right then left, front right then left)? Does the Volvo take special brake fluid, or standard DOT3/4?<p>Also, what the going price for pads and rotors? Is there a dealer that sells at a reasonable price, or a good non-dealer source for the parts?<p>Thanks, <br>Alistair

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: DIY Brake Job? (Crack Monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Crack Monkey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Anyways, are there any caveats or tricks with the V70 brakes (T5 if it matters)? I've done plenty of brakes on other cars, so I'm familiar with brakes in general.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>No real Tricks. It is pretty Straight Forward. I can email pics from VADIS which shows the steps.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Crack Monkey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Do the calipers push in with a C-clamp? Or need spun out with a wrench?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>C-Clamp<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Crack Monkey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Does the ABS need bled via a 5th bleed screw, or do I just bleed the four wheels normally (back right then left, front right then left)? Does the Volvo take special brake fluid, or standard DOT3/4?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Bleed the 4 wheels. Use DOT4 Synthetic. <p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Crack Monkey</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Also, what the going price for pads and rotors? Is there a dealer that sells at a reasonable price, or a good non-dealer source for the parts?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>For OEM replacements there are several sources that are good. <br> <br> 1) FCP Groton (recommend)<br> 2) ALL OEM Auto Parts<br> 3) AutohausAZ<p>For upgraded components:<p> 1) iPd Usa (recommend)<br> 2) Evolve<br> 3) Eurosport Tuning (EST)<p>For OEM replacement parts expect to pay 150-200 for pads and rotors. For upgraded components it will be more.<p>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: DIY Brake Job? (EBender1965)

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to measure the rotors tonight - seems there are two sizes.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
You better get you a size 7 hex socket drive. You'll get into the job and not be able to deal with rotors and pads if you don't: <A HREF="http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.aspx?CategoryID=1565&NodeID=4993&RootID=629" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ipdusa.com/Products...D=629</A>

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

Good Point. I forgot about that. You can also pick them up at any hardware store or auto parts store. I think I got mine at a Sears Hardware store.<p>Definitely measure the rotors. Most common are the 280mm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: DIY Brake Job? (Crack Monkey)

On bleeding brakes, a pressure bleeder that fits over the reservior works great. And there is a nice trick to avoid having to pour the fluid in the power bleeder (messier). Just pour and fill the reservior and bleed. Someone even suggested to syphon the old fluid out of the reservior first but I couldn't get the filter on the top off. I think a full reservior will bleed all 4 lines before 1/2 emptying. Just check after each line.<p>On dot4 fluid, I think ATE makes amber or blue synth. Find the color opposite to what is in you reservior. Makes it easy to detect when the new fluid comes out.<p>I think the Volvo manual calls for bleeding opposite of the typical (furtherst from MC first as you noted) But I've heard that it doesn't matter for multiple brake circuits. I'd follow the manual since you are getting VADIS directions. You can also find directions here. Its for XC but the brake job was identical on my 01 T5.<p><A HREF="http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/index.php" TARGET="_blank">http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/index.php</A><p>I think the C clamp as to be 6 inch or bigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts