Discussion Starter #41
Thanks! I'll need it.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hello all,

Great news: I soldered and hooked everything up earlier today, and everything works. Literally, every single feature and quirk works. I can't believe it all worked on the first try! Before I get too ahead of myself, I'd just like to say a massive thank you to [email protected], and all of SwedeSpeed forums as a whole. Before I made this thread, I had turned down this idea thinking it was absolutely impossible thanks to the bucketheads at CarToys and Stereo King. Now, as I promised you all, a detailed and step-by-step writeup of this whole process is on its way, in the form of a Google Doc. Until then, I've attached in the form of a .ZIP archive a bunch of photos from the install, if anyone's interested or curious.

The radio cage from Erie Vovo arrives tomorrow, so that's when everything will be mounted, flush, and nice and covered up with trim and the facia kit. For now, it's all just a wire mayhem. Also, the camera will be covered with a custom plate sometime in the near future. I'll ask my CAD-enabled buddies what they think.

Again, a massive thank you to Chris for being available despite his own schedule and events, and providing selfless help to a fellow Volvo owner. My 2008 XC90 now looks like it's from 2020! (Ok, well not really, but you get the point :)

Here are the photos: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mJfY7aI6yXj1aMmKvM9Z35kL2HX-8ic_/view?usp=sharing Let me know if the photos don't work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So you have yours installed on Aux input? how did you deal with the old head unit? I'm really thinking ordering 1 I don't have the nav.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The InCarTec kit made everything completely plug and play. It replaces the old head unit COMPLETELY which is super super awesome. I just took the old one out, and have it sitting in a box now to collect dust for the next 10 years :)

There is an AUX IN port on the back of the head unit (also on almost all) to which I'm going to order and connect this: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...87&sprefix=aux+male+to+female+,aps,211&sr=8-4 so you can plug in an aux device (which is rare, since everything is CarPlay/bluetooth for me), but still I wanted to take advantage of that feature.

Again, the best thing is that the factory amp is bypassed, and the sound quality is amazing. I genuinely honestly am telling you that I can't tell the difference.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at [email protected]

I am about halfway done with the detailed step by step writeup/instructions for this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
LOL i just looked on Crutchfield said no head unit is compatible we know this is not true if your willing to put work in. also been looking at that group version but I want a pioneer unit. Unless the one on post can satisfy my questions before i buy it. that kit he put together looks great on the outside and seems to work well just not sure I want to pull the trigger on something I'm not sure. 08XC90V8 has given me other idea.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Again, Crutchfield and all these other car audio shops are going to tell you it's just not possible. Trust me, I've pulled the trigger on my system and risked everything, and with common sense and following instructions, one can do it themselves in a day or two. It's a very straightforward install thanks to InCarTec's kit, and BTW my head unit is the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX (not sure if that's the one you want but I highly highly recommend it).

Also, let me know if you need any help or answers to any questions, please don't hesitate to reach me at my email: [email protected]

The writeup is coming soon everyone, just been tied up with some home renovation projects.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
With all due respect, I wouldn't opt for an unbranded/Chinese head unit or solution because of a few reasons:

1. No warranty, no tech support whatsoever. Once you buy it, you're on your own.
2. No guarantee it'll work with the InCarTec kit. The InCarTec website warns against using unbranded head units with their retention kits and interfaces because of the crappy system those HU's often use.
3. Low quality parts and build. The OS will probably be Android 4.4. KitKat, which is an OS from 2013 that Android has left behind a long time ago. As a result, the user interface, speed, responsiveness, and overall quality of use will be much much lower.
4. Crappy screen. The colors and viewing angles on the screen as well as the touchscreen will be slow, washed out, and if even a sliver of sunlight comes onto the screen, it becomes pretty hard to see what's on there.

Again, @dignus or @Alexo1us please don't take this as a hate message :) just sharing my experience and my friend's experience with unbranded Chinese/foreign head units when it comes to these. If you've got a Volvo, you should treat it right. It's sort of like putting a Toyota steering wheel in a Ferrari...

It is up to you fully, but I would highly highly recommend using InCarTec's kit as well as a solid, well-built Pioneer/Sony/JVC/Alpine head unit. I personally recommend the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hear what your saying but from what I seen on the other unit the guys has it down to science. So all who gone this route have nothing but good things to say.
Deck i was thinking about that new one with floating screen :) Can't remember model.
For me I just want it work and not mess up the volvo.
I was going through your list and saw the kit from incartec how was it getting the parts here across pond? did it take a bit?

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yep, it's up to you in the end. Just sharing my thoughts, here to help :)

InCarTec kit came in 5 days, pretty fast shipping. Super satisfied with their products.

My Volvo isn't messed up at all so all good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With all due respect, I wouldn't opt for an unbranded/Chinese head unit or solution because of a few reasons:

1. No warranty, no tech support whatsoever. Once you buy it, you're on your own.
2. No guarantee it'll work with the InCarTec kit. The InCarTec website warns against using unbranded head units with their retention kits and interfaces because of the crappy system those HU's often use.
3. Low quality parts and build. The OS will probably be Android 4.4. KitKat, which is an OS from 2013 that Android has left behind a long time ago. As a result, the user interface, speed, responsiveness, and overall quality of use will be much much lower.
4. Crappy screen. The colors and viewing angles on the screen as well as the touchscreen will be slow, washed out, and if even a sliver of sunlight comes onto the screen, it becomes pretty hard to see what's on there.

Again, @dignus or @Alexo1us please don't take this as a hate message :) just sharing my experience and my friend's experience with unbranded Chinese/foreign head units when it comes to these. If you've got a Volvo, you should treat it right. It's sort of like putting a Toyota steering wheel in a Ferrari...

It is up to you fully, but I would highly highly recommend using InCarTec's kit as well as a solid, well-built Pioneer/Sony/JVC/Alpine head unit. I personally recommend the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX.
No problem. In my case the kit came with an incartec-cable included. Extremely happy with it :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Other solution then 2Din

I recently also tried to find a decent replacement for the premium system in my xc90 2005 V8. The facebook legend car audio is way overprised, the tablet is a chrap chines no name. In the end some one from the UK has pointed me out to the (for me) easiest not ecxpensive setup.
1) Purchase a decent Android tablet (I purchased a Lenovo tablet with LTE/4G), metal case...
2) Purchase Mr12Volt solution (buetooth, usb, aux ), comes with all the necessary cables/connectors
3) Install Mr12V (takes you 20 minutes max, lots of videos how to install)
4) Attach 2 magnets to dashboard
5) Click tablet to magnets..

You will loose the 6CD capabilities, but apart from that, everything else is stock.
- Spotify, google maps and all other android apps to be used
- Bluetooth carkit (microphone is included in Mr12 kit).
- Radio I can either choose the radio from my tablet, the radio from my smartphone or the factory radio
Works like a charm and is inexpensive compared to all other 2din solutions + much more easy to install

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I recently also tried to find a decent replacement for the premium system in my xc90 2005 V8. The facebook legend car audio is way overprised, the tablet is a chrap chines no name. In the end some one from the UK has pointed me out to the (for me) easiest not ecxpensive setup.
1) Purchase a decent Android tablet (I purchased a Lenovo tablet with LTE/4G), metal case...
2) Purchase Mr12Volt solution (buetooth, usb, aux ), comes with all the necessary cables/connectors
3) Install Mr12V (takes you 20 minutes max, lots of videos how to install)
4) Attach 2 magnets to dashboard
5) Click tablet to magnets..

You will loose the 6CD capabilities, but apart from that, everything else is stock.
- Spotify, google maps and all other android apps to be used
- Bluetooth carkit (microphone is included in Mr12 kit).
- Radio I can either choose the radio from my tablet, the radio from my smartphone or the factory radio
Works like a charm and is inexpensive compared to all other 2din solutions + much more easy to install
This is really interesting. I didn't know this was a possibility. However, you have basically no warranty, tech support, or guarantee that steering wheel controls, backup sensors, backup camera, etc. will work or even be able to work with new aftermarket replacements.

Again, in my case, the Pioneer HU combined with the InCarTec kit made everything plug and play. If I were to do this for the first time on my Volvo, I would spend the extra money and get a high quality, warrantied, and easy-to-use well-built HU and wiring harness solution to retain factory features. Trust me, it's worth it for a $60K European luxury SUV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is really interesting. I didn't know this was a possibility. However, you have basically no warranty, tech support, or guarantee that steering wheel controls, backup sensors, backup camera, etc. will work or even be able to work with new aftermarket replacements.

Again, in my case, the Pioneer HU combined with the InCarTec kit made everything plug and play. If I were to do this for the first time on my Volvo, I would spend the extra money and get a high quality, warrantied, and easy-to-use well-built HU and wiring harness solution to retain factory features. Trust me, it's worth it for a $60K European luxury SUV.

It is impossible that steering wheel controls, sensors, camera etc. are affected, sinceyouonly tap optical wire from the 6CD. Nothing else is touched. And you do have 2 years warranty for the Lenovo tablet and the MR12V. ANd there is no need for a harness. I can even still use my radio. I don't get your point? This solution is really plug and play, 20 minutes (max) for the total setup...

·
Registered
4 Posts

It is plug and play, less then 15 minutes of work. Only connecting to power +6CD via Optic. Zero standard components you mentioned: steering wheel controls, backup sensors, backup camera, etc. are even touched, ecept for 6CD ..
2 Years of warranty for Lenovo tablet, 2 years of warranty for Mr12V and it costs 60 Euros to get it installed. I don't know what you mean?

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sorry, looks like there was a misunderstanding. What I meant to say was that people had told me about such a solution but had warned me about what I had said in the post above about guarantee, support, integration, etc.

My point was that it may be more worth it to spend a little extra and go the aftermarket Pioneer/JVC/Alpine/Sony/etc. HU way and use the InCarTec kit. I have yet to hear any complaints about it, and it was a plug and play ~5-6 hr installation for me - but I'm slow :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
No problem. For me personally the biggest benefit is, that the audio unit of the XC will remain stock...

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hello all,

Sorry for the delay, school caught up to me faster than I thought :rolleyes:

Anyways, here is the link to the installation write-up: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XrkPaZcfI5q6nw2rCrDHxd5-WTT1aqafUdNs8j4h6C4/edit?usp=sharing

I tried to make it as detailed as possible, and please do read the note I included on the top. I hope everyone is able to benefit from this and I highly advise you to read through this before doing the install. New to this sort of thing? Scared? Confused? I was in your place a few weeks ago too, don't worry. It's not hard. Just follow the instructions, and with a guide like this you shouldn't run into any problems.

Again, massive shout-out to [email protected] for his selfless help and him being available for all my questions.

Anyone, please feel free to reach out to me via email at [email protected] for any further questions/comments/concerns.

--08XC90V8 out.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts