SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLVED - DIY #2: Aftermarket Radio with FULL GUIDE AND WRITE-UP

EDIT 10/3/2020: Here is the link to the install document if that's all you're looking for. This thread contains many people who are also trying to replace their factory radios. The install document has lots of pictures, my contact, [email protected]'s contact, and goes over the whole install step-by-step in complete detail. I HIGHLY recommend you use it for this install, since it's not a beginner's job.

LINK TO DOCUMENT:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XrkPaZcfI5q6nw2rCrDHxd5-WTT1aqafUdNs8j4h6C4/edit?usp=sharing

Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 4.4L AWD with the DYNAUDIO Premium Sound package, with the Dolby Logic Pro II surround sound option, too. The car is basically fully tricked out, with navigation, backup camera, backup sensors, etc. I have hated the radio in it for years now, and have finally decided to do something about it, however, I can't find any information on this topic and I need help.

I am trying to install this head unit: Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX, this camera: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500HCEC110/Alpine-HCE-C1100.html, and this camera mounting plate: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTXC10L/Alpine-KTX-C10LP.html on my XC90. The problem is, however, the DYNAUDIO sound system. Apparently, it uses fiber optics to communicate with the radio and everything else on the MOST (Media-Oriented System Transport) interface, meaning the backup sensors, factory navigation, etc. Anyways, I'm trying to replace the entire factory radio and put in that nice, big, touchscreen Pioneer head unit. However, I'm also trying to retain the steering wheel controls, backup camera activation when in reverse (new cam should route video to new head unit), backup sensors (beeping), and the speakers (if necessary, I can replace amp, but speakers being replaced is too difficult and time-consuming for me, the amp is what I'm really confused about).

I have been told that this kit: https://incartec.co.uk/product/Volv...-with-rear-PDC-retention-interface-FK-860-PDC is what I need, however, I really don't know what to do with the factory amplifier. So, I am asking you all for your help in determining what I need to buy, what I need to do, how risky and difficult it is, and any other possible help I can get in order to replace that disgusting radio. I have no idea whether to bypass the amp, or to replace it, and if I do replace it, what amp to replace it with. I am sincerely hoping that you all can help a novice out here.

In your responses, I politely request that you are thorough and detailed since this is the first car mod I've done, yet I know how to solder, and am electrically and technologically sound (haha get it?).

Thank you all very much in advance, I sincerely hope to hear from you soon. Kind regards.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Good luck!

I've been frustrated by the same factory radio so I follow these discussions, though I've not tried a swap.

It seems there are a lot of posts, lots of frustration and mixing and matching of various mounting kits, wiring harnesses from various vendors in North America and Europe.

I'd suggest searching the forums and you'll find lots of info and rabbit holes to go down.

Unfortunately I don't know if there's a single concise post that details all the steps and parts needed.

I believe the concensus is you'll need to use a new amp.

Sent from the demons in my head

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha!! "Sent from the demons in my head"

Thanks a lot for the reply. Would you happen to know what amp I can use with the car?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Replacing the MOST amp while retaining navigation voice and telephone audio and parking sensor beeps (all are routed over the MOST bus to the amp) is not possible. Well, very difficult, because you would have to develop and manufacture an interface...

Disconnecting the MOST bus by removing any MOST component (like the amp) means the nav stops working. Why? Because MOST is unidirectional Fiber ring, and the nav receives all the data from the vehicle over the MOST bus. Speed, direction , forward/reverse, localtime, reverse camera activations, etc,

Disconnecting the MOST bus may or may not impact the native reverse cam. The Volvo reverse cam outputs NTSC analog composite video, and routes it through the nav to the display. The nav controls the display, so if the nav stops working, you may lose display control and reverse camera control. Test by unplugging a MOST device, eg: remove the fuses for the amplifier, and check behaviour.

Replacing the radio and wishing to retain steering wheel controls is possible, with a CAN bus interface. These are available, and are radio-specific.

And of course, disconnecting any MOST bus devices results in error codes.

All in all you are taking on quite a task. Discarding the audio system including nav, telephone and parking sensors in its entirety, whilst retaining only analog speakers and the steering wheel controls is possible.
Discarding part of the entire system whilst retaining function of another part is nigh on impossible.

The simplest changes you can make are:
1. Replace speakers with new speakers of your choice
2. Replace amplifier with an analog amplifier of your choice, fed by a MOST interface. Such an interface exists for the XC90, was developed by Russians, google for MOST amplifier interface to find it. This interface allows retention of al MOST functions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
950 Posts
Dyn does not equal MOST. Some Volvo’s, Porsche’s, etc have MOST. All XC90’s are inflicted with it.

Only way to deal with it is to tap into it: https://gromaudio.com/

Or kill it completely: https://incartec.co.uk/

Killing it is best.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replacing the MOST amp while retaining navigation voice and telephone audio and parking sensor beeps (all are routed over the MOST bus to the amp) is not possible. Well, very difficult, because you would have to develop and manufacture an interface...

Disconnecting the MOST bus by removing any MOST component (like the amp) means the nav stops working. Why? Because MOST is unidirectional Fiber ring, and the nav receives all the data from the vehicle over the MOST bus. Speed, direction , forward/reverse, localtime, reverse camera activations, etc,

Disconnecting the MOST bus may or may not impact the native reverse cam. The Volvo reverse cam outputs NTSC analog composite video, and routes it through the nav to the display. The nav controls the display, so if the nav stops working, you may lose display control and reverse camera control. Test by unplugging a MOST device, eg: remove the fuses for the amplifier, and check behaviour.

Replacing the radio and wishing to retain steering wheel controls is possible, with a CAN bus interface. These are available, and are radio-specific.

And of course, disconnecting any MOST bus devices results in error codes.

All in all you are taking on quite a task. Discarding the audio system including nav, telephone and parking sensors in its entirety, whilst retaining only analog speakers and the steering wheel controls is possible.
Discarding part of the entire system whilst retaining function of another part is nigh on impossible.

The simplest changes you can make are:
1. Replace speakers with new speakers of your choice
2. Replace amplifier with an analog amplifier of your choice, fed by a MOST interface. Such an interface exists for the XC90, was developed by Russians, google for MOST amplifier interface to find it. This interface allows retention of al MOST functions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow, I had thought it wouldn't be too hard! I really don't care about the pop-up navi display screen, and I don't have the telephone option in my car. I plan to use the navigation from the CarPlay in my head unit, and plug in the aftermarket replacement camera into the new head unit, bypassing the navi display completely. The InCarTec kit I had linked originally comes with a speaker that goes inside the dash that "retains" the backup sensor beeping.

So is it or is it not possible for me to get rid of the amplifier and replace it? That's what it sounds like you're saying in the second option you had mentioned, "2. Replace amplifier with an analog amplifier of your choice, fed by a MOST interface. Such an interface exists for the XC90, was developed by Russians, google for MOST amplifier interface to find it. This interface allows retention of al MOST functions". For that Russian interface, could you please provide a link? Is this the best one: https://12volt-shop.lv/3/product/WUJWXw==.html

Also, if I were to replace the amplifier, what amplifier would I replace it with? I need to buy an amplifier, of course, so if you could link one or list the specifications I should look for in one, I can find one to buy.

I do understand that it will be hard and am pretty prepared to take this task on.

Please let me know, thank you all for your replies.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dyn does not equal MOST. Some Volvo’s, Porsche’s, etc have MOST. All XC90’s are inflicted with it.

Only way to deal with it is to tap into it: https://gromaudio.com/

Or kill it completely: https://incartec.co.uk/

Killing it is best.
Definitely going with the slaughter option :)

Can you recommend an amplifier and a MOST Amplifier Interface for me to buy so that I can replace the factory amp completely?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for letting me know. Can you link the product URL or a store URL? I can't seem to find it.

Also, please keep us all updated when you receive yours (quality, shipment time, ease of installation, etc.) Quality is my biggest concern with that product.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will do. There's no store except that Facebook group. Communication is.. challenging, since he uses google translate and speaks no english. Mine should arrive later this week. I'll open a thread with results, since quite a few people are looking for something like this.

·
Administrator
55,881 Posts
I've done two of these swaps with the incartec kit while retaining the parking sensor beeps. The NAV is worthless by today's standards and most headunits come with Apple Carplay/Android Auto and/or built-in Garmin NAV. It is possible to power the old NAV screen to raise and lower and receive a video signal, some owners have done this to display Garmin nav units.

Upgrading the headunit to modern tech adds new life to the XC90.

I have a sticky thread at the top of this forum with a few pages of info from those that have done the swap:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?199862-Aftermarket-In-Dash-GPS-DVD-on-XC90-Solved

This swap takes time. My process was to build the wiring harness the night before the install, the spend a Saturday or Sunday doing the install leaving the battery disconnected until I have double checked the wiring is correct. No need to trip an airbag light if you can avoid it. :)

Watch YouTube videos on how to take apart the dash. Fishing the wiring and module boxes back into the dash can be challenging but you will be able to get it all back in and have the headunit sit flush.

This new headunit looks pretty sweet:

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 12.20.45 PM.jpg XC90_Headunit.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've done two of these swaps with the incartec kit while retaining the parking sensor beeps. The NAV is worthless by today's standards and most headunits come with Apple Carplay/Android Auto and/or built-in Garmin NAV. It is possible to power the old NAV screen to raise and lower and receive a video signal, some owners have done this to display Garmin nav units.

Upgrading the headunit to modern tech adds new life to the XC90.

I have a sticky thread at the top of this forum with a few pages of info from those that have done the swap:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?199862-Aftermarket-In-Dash-GPS-DVD-on-XC90-Solved

This swap takes time. My process was to build the wiring harness the night before the install, the spend a Saturday or Sunday doing the install leaving the battery disconnected until I have double checked the wiring is correct. No need to trip an airbag light if you can avoid it. :)

Watch YouTube videos on how to take apart the dash. Fishing the wiring and module boxes back into the dash can be challenging but you will be able to get it all back in and have the headunit sit flush.
Sounds good. Let's continue talking over email, my ultimate goal is to work with you and post a document with all the installation instructions for those with an audio configuration like mine, I'd really hate for people to go through the same countless hours of research like I did.

:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will do. There's no store except that Facebook group. Communication is.. challenging, since he uses google translate and speaks no english. Mine should arrive later this week. I'll open a thread with results, since quite a few people are looking for something like this.
Installed it the other day. Looks lovely! Installing was, for someone who has never did anything on a car, very straightforward thanks to the install video. It’s literally plug and play. I can recommend this unit verrrry much.

https://ibb.co/jVw6kgx

·
Registered
950 Posts
What HU is that?

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you provide a direct link to the salesperson contact or the product webpage where someone else can find more info? (price, shipping, quality of components especially the screen and chip)

This looks really nice, but does it have Apple CarPlay? I'm assuming not, which is why I'm leaning away from it. Looks like a Volvo-Tesla hybrid now!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can you provide a direct link to the salesperson contact or the product webpage where someone else can find more info? (price, shipping, quality of components especially the screen and chip)

This looks really nice, but does it have Apple CarPlay? I'm assuming not, which is why I'm leaning away from it. Looks like a Volvo-Tesla hybrid now!
Contact the group admin on that facebook page. Communicating is.. interesting, his English is... suboptimal. But it worked really well for me.

Unit has apple carplay. Optional DAB+ and camera.

·
Registered
950 Posts
There's a metric ST of Android 10 HU's beyond the majors that you find on Crutchfield. The only thing that would be XC90 specific is the fascia/dash kit and the CANbus module.
(Could be the CANbus isn't even that special. Things that work for other marks ((Porsche)) that use MOST may be universal. But knowing Volvo, it probably is Volvo specific.)

Pioneer uses an Android OS. They dropped Windows CE several generations ago.

I've had some success looking at UK websites like eBay.UK for EU only items (typically Eastern European). That's where I found my running boards.

I had to use my sons FB ID to look at the FB page. Waiting for their Admin to approve me/him.

OP - After you remove everything with an orange FO cable, you can use any amp you wish. It really comes down to packaging. In other words, where can you stuff an amp, how many channels do you need, etc.

Where to put the subwoofer. That's the interesting bit.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I tried them here but then needed a third amp so they ended up here.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts