SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

281 - 300 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Finished my install last weekend! (Well, two weekends ago) Went with the Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX, the incartec harness, and the Alpine HCE-C1100 camera. It went ‘pretty’ smooth, but I took a long time getting the harness together and a took my time with the install too. Results are great though.

Only real issue I’ve had is with the wireless CarPlay of the HU. Seems spotty. Ended up removing the cigarette lighter where I used to have a Bluetooth transmitter and replacing with a flush mount USB outlet for a more stable connection.

Getting metra kit together after forcing the pocket to go on top: (You can have access to this when tilting the screen down, but I haven’t had the need besides hiding a bit of usb charging cable in there while charging my phone)

HU + screen installed on the bench:

Installed and running in the car:

Planning camera placement. Wanted it to appear as OEM as possible:

Trimmed the ‘tailgate handle plate’ and an area of the tailgate behind the plate to account for the camera. This took a while as I made many small cuts to ensure I didn’t cut away too much. Note: for the tailgate portion, I was careful to ensure that I didn’t cut away the part where the ‘handle plate’ clip clips onto.

Used a JB-Weld ‘type’ of adhesive to secure the camera.

Had to trim my license plate. Oops.

Camera view pretty good.

Flush mount USB plug installed.

Overall, had tons of help from the forums and the posters here. Thanks everyone! Now on to suspension maintenance before I pivot back to plans for stealth amp and subs install. :)

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Looks great. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice job on the camera.

My wireless CarPlay is sketchy too. The WiFi connection is definitely not robust. I find it's best if I put the phone up on the Nite Ize mount on the dash.

I wonder if the XC90 dash is somehow blocking the signal? The connection in the e92 seems much better.

I called Crutchfield a couple weeks ago and they said try a different phone!?:rolleyes:. I have an XR.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
I'm also going to be posting this in the Classifieds forum.

I'm interested in possibly upgrading to a larger 9" floating screen head unit. Would anybody be interested in purchasing my Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX from me for $450? It was installed in October 2020 and has been barely used as the car itself is rarely used. It's in like-new condition and has zero scratches or any blemishes. Works perfectly, no issues; once again, just want to upgrade (possibly to a Pioneer DMH-WT7600NEX).

It's one of the best Wireless Apple CarPlay AND Android Auto stereo head units out there, without GPS built-in. See link for more information.

It will come with the original box, original packaging, as well as new audio and power harnesses, the original remote, a new GPS antenna, and a new mic. Basically, it will come with everything that a new one would come with. On top of that, it will come with a Double-DIN mounting cage to fit into any Double-DIN slot (similar to this) AND a Volvo XC90-specific facia kit.

Here are some photos of it.

I'm in the Portland, OR area and would prefer to hand it off to someone local that I could meet in-person. However, if you're interested and far out, PM me and we can figure something out regarding shipping. I will only accept offers that are PM'd to me via SwedeSpeed or that are written in replies below in this discussion.

I can take PayPal, Venmo, cash, but no wire transfers and no cheques.

Let me know if anyone's interested, and please don't hesitate to reach out for more information or questions!

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Is it necessary to bypass the stock amp?
Yes, it is. The stock amp communicates with the ICM (radio) via fiber optics, which is the only way the two communicate. You just have to either replace the amp altogether or bypass it as I did.

Reactions: Manntis

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is there software that can be loaded into a double DIN or floating head unit that will show the same via incartech's CANBUS harness?

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Is there software that can be loaded into a double DIN or floating head unit that will show the same via incartech's CANBUS harness?
My apologies; I don't think I fully understand your question. What do you mean by "a software that will show the same via InCarTec's CANBus harness?". InCarTec's CANBus harness and the Metra Axxess are the two "best" options that I've seen work well for people in the past, in that specific order (if this is what you're asking).

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
My Atoto has two Bluetooth channels, one for a Canbus reader. Look on Google Play for the Canbus App you may like. My rig came with an App, but I ditched it and went with another for one specific reason. I only used it to monitor Cat converter and vapor system readiness for emission test readiness. If there is only one BT, you must choose phone or Canbus.
Again, make sure the Android system is capable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, it is. The stock amp communicates with the ICM (radio) via fiber optics, which is the only way the two communicate. You just have to either replace the amp altogether or bypass it as I did.
Why not use an RRI datalink like Scosche that preserves your optical amp connection?

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Why not use an RRI datalink like Scosche that preserves your optical amp connection?
Not heard of anything that does that. The issue is that traditional D-DIN units use universal harnesses with individual speaker leads--something that the factory amp takes care of. The factory amp has outputs for these speaker leads, and the ICM feeds audio data via FO to the amp so that it can convert, mess with, and do magic on that FO information and output it in the form of electrical signals to the speakers. These electrical signals will be carried through said speaker leads. In the D-DIN setup without an amp (which is the route that me and many other D-DIN XC90 users went) connects the speaker-level outputs on the harness coming out of the head unit directly to the said speaker leads that previously would've connected in to the stock amp.

Now that that's established, the only solution becomes to get a new amp that matches the specs of the old one, and wire that all in. At this point, it's just a simple run-of-the-mill head unit and amp system install in your normal car. No more CAN issues, FO headaches, etc.

I'm not sure what you're mentioning, but if you could provide a link to this "RRI data link" that Scosche provides, I'd be really interested to see it. Oh, and I forgot to mention; if your XC90 has the center speaker, it will NOT work if you go with the D-DIN w/o amp route like I did, or the factory amp replacement route. This is because it's powered by a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) built in to the factory amp (I think it's Dolby Logic Pro II?). You'd then either have to somehow find an amp in 2021 that supports Dolby Logic Pro II, something I don't even know how old, and then use that in place of the factory amp. Or, you can buy a little single channel amp just dedicated for the center speaker and use that.

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, I understand how optical data transmission works ;)

"RETAINS:
Fiber optic amplifier, backup camera, factory park distance control sensors, and amplified stereo system"

This link is to the whole kit but you can get just the LPVO15 interface and harness separately

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
Yes, I understand how optical data transmission works ;)

"RETAINS:
Fiber optic amplifier, backup camera, factory park distance control sensors, and amplified stereo system"

This link is to the whole kit but you can get just the LPVO15 interface and harness separately
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to force that on you.

This is actually pretty interesting. I see that although you are right, yes, it says that it retains the FO amp, it still comes with a green-colored-connector speaker harness for the head unit? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also can't seem to find anything in the pics that would resemble a sort of "FO unit" or something that converts the signal or relays it, etc. etc. TL, DR: how's the head unit going to communicate with the factory FO amp?

Cool stuff. How'd you find this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
There are three plastic box units. The black square unit is the reverse warning speaker. The grey one is the CANBUS module. The remaining black box with the rounded top has optical in/out at one end and serial at the other; I surmise it converts the optical signals to electronic for the head unit and vice versa.

Found by google-fu

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
There are three plastic box units. The black square unit is the reverse warning speaker. The grey one is the CANBUS module. The remaining black box with the rounded top has optical in/out at one end and serial at the other; I surmise it converts the optical signals to electronic for the head unit and vice versa.

Found by google-fu
Ah, that was what I thought too. Excellent job at finding this, I definitely think that this should be added to the sticky threads so that others can see this as a viable option. However, before all that happens, I think you'll get to be the first to pull the trigger on this kit. IIRC, nobody else has done this, as far as I know. Which is little.

Would you be interested in going forward with this kit? I think I speak for us all when I say that retaining the factory FO amp would be a HUGE thing.

·
Registered
2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
682 Posts
True. The InCarTec kit I got was approx 280$ after shipping.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Styrofoam considering it. It's only $200 freedom bucks after all.
They offer a 20% discount as you try to leave the page, which almost makes it attractive.
The part that is not clear to me is how any output from an aftermarket HU converts analog audio output info to digital MOST, and where exactly in the parts kit that is accomplished. The amplifier has only digital inputs on my '09 and no seperate channel inputs.
As I understand it, the fiber optic MOST network is how the infotainment system communicates digital audio to the amplifier as well as functions such as volume, L/R balance and front-rear levels. Dunno about tone
I'm no network expert, but it seems to me that a DAC is missing in this scenario.
This quote is particularly confusing:

RETAINS:
Fiber optic amplifier, backup camera, factory park distance control sensors, and amplified stereo system

I pursued the issue with further Google research, and found no more info in the way of manuals or more concise descriptions, so I posted a question direct about the functionality on the Scosche site, so we may have it from the horses mouth, soon.
Looking still further, I searched the "LPVO15 " I saw on one of the magic boxes, and came up with the same gear cheaper without the double-DIN box and hardware:

20% off gets this down to $115, +/-
There's yet another kit on the site, and it clarifies that the gray box with wiring is where the pigtail that connects to the SW controls on the HU plugs into the Canbus interface.:

Oh, well, maybe they'll edify us after the weekend.

Attachments

Reactions: 08XC90V8

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking still further, I searched the "LPVO15 " I saw on one of the magic boxes, and came up with the same gear cheaper without the double-DIN box and hardware
Hence why I said "This link is to the whole kit but you can get just the LPVO15 interface and harness separately" ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
The Legend unit can also retain the original amp. The way it works (I think) is: With 2007+ models it connects to the AUX input on the amp (select AUX input before removing the original HU). With earlier models you can either use the unit's built in amp, or use a GROM to hook into the original amp and go through the GROM.

Reactions: 08XC90V8
281 - 300 of 306 Posts