SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have returned to 5 cylinder Volvo ownership because everything else just bores me to death. However, all is not well with the 2004 S60 2.0 s T.

It's really fine around town up to about 40mph with no worrying symptoms really. Get it above 60mph and that quickly changes.
At 60mph a slight judder appears through the wheel (I'm guessing balljoint as hell under braking). Push on to 70mph or more and you get a shock when you come off the throttle. A sudden release of pedal will fire the car fairly unexpectedly to the left. Push the throttle hard it will mosey right slightly.
If you let off the throttle gently it seems fine though.

I have had a cursory check of the lower arms up front and they don't appear to have split bushings or excess play. The torque mount is past ready for changing but is there anything else that I should be checking before paying out big cash to fix something that may not be the problem?

It has had a clutch at some point last year if that could hold any relevance.
Thanks to anyone that wishes to reply

·
Registered
Volvo S60 D5 MY2003, 163hp
181 Posts
You say that you check bushings on lower arms but did you check rear bushings on front lower arms? Rounded... I've also had that problem few months ago, also checked bushings and everything was "ok". But when guy in mechanic garage lofted car, arm goes down and rear buch was like cuted, broken. I changed them and eveyrhing is ok now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked it while on the floor, will try lifting it and seeing if things change. Never thought about it being different while sat on the floor

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I good thing to remember is that the suspension will always be at a different stress point bushing wise when at rest on the ground compared to when on a lift or jack. Everything will be at neutral on the ground while when on a lift or jack, you're going to be putting most bushings at an extreme point of stress. This is why good practice when replacing any moving suspension bushings, is the final tighten them down while the car is on the ground. Cracks or tears you may not usually see until a bushing is put at an extreme direction from it's neutral point. Let us know what you find. :thumbup:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have returned to 5 cylinder Volvo ownership because everything else just bores me to death. However, all is not well with the 2004 S60 2.0 s T.

It's really fine around town up to about 40mph with no worrying symptoms really. Get it above 60mph and that quickly changes.
At 60mph a slight judder appears through the wheel (I'm guessing balljoint as hell under braking). Push on to 70mph or more and you get a shock when you come off the throttle. A sudden release of pedal will fire the car fairly unexpectedly to the left. Push the throttle hard it will mosey right slightly.
If you let off the throttle gently it seems fine though.

I have had a cursory check of the lower arms up front and they don't appear to have split bushings or excess play. The torque mount is past ready for changing but is there anything else that I should be checking before paying out big cash to fix something that may not be the problem?

It has had a clutch at some point last year if that could hold any relevance.
Thanks to anyone that wishes to reply
This sounds most definitely like ball joints. Had the same problem turn up after an alignment, apparently the alignment shop did not know how to check for bad ball joints on a Volvo. I wouldn't take the V70 over 45mph, it was that spooky. When the ball joints were finally pulled, they, along with the nearly new front tires, and front wheel bearings were shot.

Fix it now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So happy you said that!
I have been and checked everything and the only thing that is noticeable is a rusty balljoint front right.
I can feel a clunk through the floor now when setting off on certain grades from that same side.

Balljoints are on order for asap replacement as I have seen Volvo's (or is it Volvi? Haha) shed these balljoints for fun when neglected with less than hilarious consequences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was indeed the balljoints causing issues.
However fun stops there because of some incompetent morons previous meddling.
It had a clutch about a year ago and the box isn't bolted on right. The driveshafts were also not fitted correctly and are both broken.
So now I am looking for another car to put my engine into as it's the only good thing in the front of this thing.

That escalated quickly...... Seems if I cannot find a donor car then I have a B5204T engine up for grabs due to this being a totally uneconomical to repair job.

Thanks for the pointers guys 👍🏻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts