SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice this? When my gas is full i get 450-500miles. No way do I ever get that.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you refuel when you have been driving on the highway the car uses the last average to calculate the distance till empty. As soon as you drive in the city, the range decreases significantly, but the car has no way to know your plans. All cars do the same, I don't think Volvo is any worse than other manufacturers.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you refuel when you have been driving on the highway the car uses the last average to calculate the distance till empty. As soon as you drive in the city, the range decreases significantly, but the car has no way to know your plans. All cars do the same, I don't think Volvo is any worse than other manufacturers.
It’s way worse. It’s way too generous. My Porsche, Subaru and Toyota puts it pretty close. They use average mpg. I’m refueling around town not on the interstate driving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definitely not too accurate. I hit zero miles on mine and I was still able to drive to the gas station. I also hate how it only displays on the dash in increments of 10 miles.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Anyone else notice this? When my gas is full i get 450-500miles. No way do I ever get that.
As others have mentioned, DTE is made up of complex algorithms and averages over all types of driving and phases. It is informational only and should never be relied on for purposes of refueling. It is an ideal.

If anyone actually “relies” on it in any make and model, they should definitely carry a full 5-gallon fuel can before leaving for anywhere - no matter what.

Aircraft pilots must always know what the amount of fuel remaining is and also know and track the fuel flow for every phase of flight and every time segment while in that phase.

The bottom line is the fuel gauge is the only mostly accurate gauge based on fuel quantity remaining, plus a bit of reserve. I would rather have a digital fuel gauge for quantity in the tank and forget about what is in the fuel line and emergency reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
298 Posts
There was bit less than 1/2 tank of gas yesterday, it shows 120 miles when I started driving on local street roads, then it showed 160 miles once I was on highway for couple minutes. Not sure what's the last statistic miles/gallon threshold (last 5 minute? 10 minutes? m/g) that the car uses to compute the mileages for the gas in the tank. If it's highway only without traffics, I think it can be reached 400+ miles with 1 full tank. When I drive on highway, it's noticeable a lot more miles/gallon than local where there are a traffic lights and stops and goes. If driving on highway only, after driving 110-130 miles without traffics, the indicator shows 3/4 gas left in the tank. So that's roughly 23-25 miles/gallon. Theoretically it can reach 450 miles until the tank is completely empty. 450/18.8 ~= 23.94 miles/gallon.

If you want to get an accurate miles/gallon, after refilling the tank, reset the trip indicator(TM?) to 0, then divided the mileages by the gallons you refill into the tank next time. I did that for few times, it did reach 20-23 miles/gallon.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have had Audi and BMW and the DTE calculations were similar to Volvo. I actually like the way it is presented and find it informational, continuously adjusting depending on the driving conditions.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There was bit less than 1/2 tank of gas yesterday, it shows 120 miles when I started driving on local street roads, then it showed 160 miles once I was on highway for couple minutes. Not sure what's the last statistic miles/gallon threshold (last 5 minute? 10 minutes? m/g) that the car uses to compute the mileages for the gas in the tank. If it's highway only without traffics, I think it can be reached 400+ miles with 1 full tank. When I drive on highway, it's noticeable a lot more miles/gallon than local where there are a traffic lights and stops and goes. If driving on highway only, after driving 110-130 miles without traffics, the indicator shows 3/4 gas left in the tank. So that's roughly 23-25 miles/gallon. Theoretically it can reach 450 miles until the tank is completely empty. 450/18.8 ~= 23.94 miles/gallon.

If you want to get an accurate miles/gallon, after refilling the tank, reset the trip indicator(TM?) to 0, then divided the mileages by the gallons you refill into the tank next time. I did that for few times, it did reach 20-23 miles/gallon.
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...el-Consumption-to-trust&p=7365969#post7365969

I did the tank to tank thing and the difference is too much between my calculation and Volvo's. Sometimes it said I am at 31 MPG in a road trip but my tank to tank gave only 25 to 26. I gave up after sometime and just calculating it on my own.

My Fuelly Report - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90/2016/chowdarygm/910536

·
Registered
298 Posts
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...el-Consumption-to-trust&p=7365969#post7365969

I did the tank to tank thing and the difference is too much between my calculation and Volvo's. Sometimes it said I am at 31 MPG in a road trip but my tank to tank gave only 25 to 26. I gave up after sometime and just calculating it on my own.

My Fuelly Report - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90/2016/chowdarygm/910536
Very nice long term logs! It's a sample of an actual gas usage against the car's model projection! Maybe you can present it to Volvo so that they can improve their calculations. :)

For the DTE, that's an estimation, it can be a bit off since that's projection. But for the MPG shows on the volvo App or Sensus, it must be the reading of the gas inside the tank is not very accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts