SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Displaying Apple Maps in HUD

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but since there are Volvo OEM personnel lurking ...

Is it possible to enable/display Apple Maps guidance in the HUD while using CarPlay? if not now, how about in a future release?

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
496 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but since there are Volvo OEM personnel lurking ...

Is it possible to enable/display Apple Maps guidance in the HUD while using CarPlay? if not now, how about in a future release?
I'm not aware of anything that you can do to enable Apple Maps in the HUD. The heads up on my experience is pretty limited and as far as I know only truly integrated with the head unit and dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It would be nice for Volvo to implement the ability to see Apple Maps in the gauge cluster/HUD or at least show turn by turn directions with Apple Maps. In iOS 13 Apple improved CarPlay to allow manufacturers to implement multiple screen support. This means Apple Maps could show up in the gauge cluster while turn by turn directions show up in the HUD.

More info here: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice ... thanks for posting this link. Given the date IOS 13's CarPlay update was released, I think I understand why its not yet implemented on my car. But obviously it can (and hopefully will) be done in a future release. If there are any Volvo connectivity personnel lurking on this site, could you give us a preview of your plans in this area please?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I doubt they'll bother on the current generation since they have the Android-based Sensus coming up, I bet that gen will have the new Apple carplay API features (multi-display, dynamic resizing of main display) but I doubt they'll do anything with the current gen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts