SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not quibbling with the data that they actually collected, but when the finalists doesn't include Land Rover and Range Rover I consider the results suspect.
It has to run in the first place to have a chance to quit running :rolleyes:
That said, I knew what I was getting into buying Volvos, having had plenty of European cars and Japanese cars, the Volvo experience was not going to be the Japanese one. CPO all the way for my 2016! My 2005 V70 needed a bunch of stuff right when I got it, but that car is pretty simple and I DIY'ed it all and it has been great ever since.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Stop reading BS from CONSBoomers Reports

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Stop reading BS from CONSBoomers Reports

The long term data means something if you can parse it out to keep stereo issues out of the mix. 100% failure rate! OMG! (well 100% failure rate of the left door speaker, not the whole car)

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Any rag that says Sensus us complicated or says their readers say sensus is complicated is trash.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
224 Posts
Generally speaking, my sense is that Consumer Reports offers reasonable reliability data trends. However, the results exposed should not be considered absolute or 100% accurate. Even as we forum members review the threads here, complaints are not uncommon, and at times seem to out number DIY thoughts and brand compliments.

One point about in-car info systems. Toyota is notorious for taking a long time to present new tech. This helps to maintain higher reliability, at the expense of improving functionality. Invariably, Consumer Report's reliabiity feedback will note better-than-average Toyota reliability, but their own test drives will complain about Toyota's ancient info systems.

At the end of the day, one spends their money on what best suits oneself.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Generally speaking, my sense is that Consumer Reports offers reasonable reliability data trends. However, the results exposed should not be considered absolute or 100% accurate. Even as we forum members review the threads here, complaints are not uncommon, and at times seem to out number DIY thoughts and brand compliments.

One point about in-car info systems. Toyota is notorious for taking a long time to present new tech. This helps to maintain higher reliability, at the expense of improving functionality. Invariably, Consumer Report's reliabiity feedback will note better-than-average Toyota reliability, but their own test drives will complain about Toyota's ancient info systems.

At the end of the day, one spends their money on what best suits oneself.
Take the Tacoma for example. God awful cheap interior, rear drum brakes, and incandescent lights.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm a former "Can't Boomers Report correctly" subscriber because I bought their highly rated washing machine and frig which actually didn't turn out too well for us.
$$$>

Then before we bought our MY2019 XC90 I also read "Can't Boomers Report correctly" reviews on the XC90 and, if I remember correctly the issues came down to the Sensus.

After almost 3 years of ownership we have had 0.000 issues - that's zero / zilch / nada / nutin' / nothing - with Sensus (or luckily anything else) so far.

So reflecting on our family's experience with "Can't Boomers Report correctly" i have surmised that
a) I should follow the opposite of what they tell me and
b) these are the work requirements at this retirement community, I mean, company:

1. Must own a dumbphone. Owning a smartphone is automatic grounds for termination.

2. Must own a cathode ray tube television or have no TV at all. LED, plasma, or equivalent digital TV ownership will disqualify you from employment.

3. Must drive a vehicle that lacks a digital entertainment system or digital LED display.

4. You are management material if your vehicle has OBD1 (pre-2008) and a tall skinny pole antenna.

Hopefully someone at "Can't Boomers Report correctly" will read this post on their CRT monitor at their retirement community, I mean, workplace and hopefully update their technology, I mean, review.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If "in car electronics" is an issue, then Audi needs to be the absolutely worst on the list. Their new layout is confusing and causes sensory overload. It makes Volvo's Sensus seem simple, intuitive, and easy to use every day.

Putting a Subaru on the worst predicted reliability? While I personally agree with this, Subaru has been on the top of CR's list for 2020.

I'd love for Mercedes or Toyota to make this list for their awful complaints and recalls on their 2020 models. How the heck does the 2020 GLE class have 17 recalls already, yet not make this list?? Most of these are significant safety issues too.

This is why Consumer Reports, among others, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Worst predicted reliability.....wtf that's just a speculation category.

CONsBoomers Reports is a sham.

·
Registered
365 Posts
For the first two years of my SPA vehicle (2019 XC60) it was fantastic. Had a few recalls (like tailgate struts and wiper arms) but nothing that I'd consider serious. However, just past the two year mark my XC60 has taken a drastic shift into "unreliable". It's been to the dealer three times in the last month. I've spent two weeks of the last four in a loaner car. First issue was a CEL. Then TPMS failure (says all four tires are low, when they're not. Resetting the system clears it for a few minutes but the warning will come back). Now the SRS light is on and a message displays saying I should go immediately to the garage. Dealer says I need a new SRS module, but they're on backorder.

I love the way my XC60 looks. I love how comfortable it is. I like how it drives. Sensus works fine, for me. But I'm getting really nervous about what this vehicle is going to be like, out of warranty.

A couple months ago, I would have defended Volvo and said people claiming unreliability were too nit-picky. But sorry, I am with them, now. There is no excuse for the issues I've had with my XC60. I hope Volvo can get my car sorted out and maybe it'll earn my confidence back, over time? But right now, I'm not happy. Maybe Consumer Reports is on to something?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I mean now it is owned by Geely, so we don't actually know how many Chinese parts are being used, considering quality control in China.
China makes everything; from the ultra-high-end to the cheap-as-dirt. It all comes down to what you're willing to pay for -- they'll make it as nice or as cheap as you specify.

·
Registered
16 Posts
China makes everything; from the ultra-high-end to the cheap-as-dirt. It all comes down to what you're willing to pay for -- they'll make it as nice or as cheap as you specify.
One example: made in China Tesla Model 3 is regarded as higher quality than the ones made in California

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
224 Posts
For the first two years of my SPA vehicle (2019 XC60) it was fantastic. Had a few recalls (like tailgate struts and wiper arms) but nothing that I'd consider serious. However, just past the two year mark my XC60 has taken a drastic shift into "unreliable". It's been to the dealer three times in the last month. I've spent two weeks of the last four in a loaner car. First issue was a CEL. Then TPMS failure (says all four tires are low, when they're not. Resetting the system clears it for a few minutes but the warning will come back). Now the SRS light is on and a message displays saying I should go immediately to the garage. Dealer says I need a new SRS module, but they're on backorder.

I love the way my XC60 looks. I love how comfortable it is. I like how it drives. Sensus works fine, for me. But I'm getting really nervous about what this vehicle is going to be like, out of warranty.

A couple months ago, I would have defended Volvo and said people claiming unreliability were too nit-picky. But sorry, I am with them, now. There is no excuse for the issues I've had with my XC60. I hope Volvo can get my car sorted out and maybe it'll earn my confidence back, over time? But right now, I'm not happy. Maybe Consumer Reports is on to something?
I hear you. Reliability, like ones health, is often taken for granted until things change. Wish you good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Absolutely true. China makes parts for everyone and almost everything. Toyota, Benz,... all have parts made in China, lets not mention Apple products too. Yet no one complains about quality from these brands.

It's a global economy, with multinational corporations. World is smaller then you think.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
932 Posts
I mean now it is owned by Geely, so we don't actually know how many Chinese parts are being used, considering quality control in China.
I've worked for several US-headquartered multinational companies with manufacturing in multiple "low-cost" sites making millions of parts. Where it's made has zero, that's right, Z-E-R-O impact on quality. What matters most is how much the company wants to ensure the output quality of what's made.

Quality is done at the design stage, materials stage, manufacturing stage, and quality assurance stage. If a company makes garbage it's because management ALLOWS garbage to be made. Why? Because management controls the $$$$, ie your project's budget and your salary. (The correct answer is "Yes, Mr President, I value my paycheck that you provide and I will do what you tell me to do even though it makes no sense after I explained why it doesn't.")

Hero, handsome & beautiful, buffed & shapely, wise, brilliant, yet humble and ever-patient engineers recommend what's needed to accomplish something, then management shoots down our proposals, halves our budget and resources, and tells us to make it twice as fast. Then management tells sales & marketing to sell it for double the price.

So don't fall into the uninformed trap of blaming a country for producing garbage - the blame solely lies on management - greedy greedy (did I mention greedy?) management.

Can you guess where most of these multinational companies are headquartered? Be forewarned, the answer might shock you.

(Clue: it's abbreviated with 3 letters and rhymes with United States of America)

Reactions: maggs

·
Registered
3,416 Posts

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
156 Posts
My XC90's control arm has stamp that says it's made in china. But they held up well at 30k, went through a few potholes and an offroad trail in yellowstone.

And my old ford's control arm that's made in usa was bent at similar mileage and was replaced under warranty during an alignment. And that car in general was a POS.

From my limited experience, I wouldn't concern too much, but I am not buying another ford for sure.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts