SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been shopping for a T8 to replace our Touareg TDI, and recently with all the large discounts, we have decided to consider a new MY19 XC90 Momentum.

We love the way the T8 drives due to its similar power delivery of our existing TDI, lots of low-end torque.

Yesterday, I had the first opportunity to spend some time in the Momentum. I was shocked and dismayed how Volvo de-contented the car.

Many of the R-Design and Inscription features don't concern me and for an approximate 5k difference I expect to be missing from the Momentum, like the larger wheels, all the extra leather bits on the door panels/dash, lower-end wood trimmings, seats with less adjustability, small accessory features and so on.

But the deletion of the following makes no sense to me. It really cheapens the Volvo experience and makes it hard to justify a $70k+ car. From a manufacturing perspective, having these extra low-end parts makes the car more expensive to manufacturer.
  • The elimination of almost all of the interior and exterior accent lighting. Even the cargo light on the rear tailgate was deleted.:facepalm:
  • Cheaper plastic around the air vents.
  • MUCH CHEAPER SEATS. Volvo describes these as 10-way seats (Inscription and R-Designs 14-way), I would call these 9-way seats. They eliminated the vertical control on the lumbar, and at the end of the lower seat cushion (where the extension eliminate is typical located), they added a huge lump. Making the seat much less comfortable. It felt like I was sitting in a whole, and the lumbar support was on par with my 14-year old Honda Accord.:angryfire:

The really interesting part, before leveling, I sat in a V90 Momentum with similar seats which had fully adjustable lumbar and was missing that odd lump at the end of the cushion.

Now we are unsure of which trim level really fits our needs. The R-Design would work, but I don't think little kids and Alcantara seats are a good match.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The seats were a big issue for me as well. I recall in the past that you could order upgraded Napa leather seats. I am assuming that the upgraded leather also included the multiple adjustments. We ended up getting an inscription which had the upgraded seats. I must admit the seats are the one thing I notice the most every time I drive the car. Well worth the investment especially over the long haul. We also have the massage seat function which we seldom ever use. Your right it is a great car. Good luck.

·
Registered
845 Posts
At least through MY2017 you could order upgraded leather seats for Momentum models-- the upgrade was to the standard Inscription seats. That kind of selective upgrade makes perfect sense, and I have no idea why Volvo would eliminate it. I am happier and happier that I bought my car when I did-- Volvo seems to be eliminating many-to-most of the possible cafeteria-style upgrades.

I guess it must simplify the assembly line in some marginal way, but it's not like we aren't willing to pay extra for the upgrades we want. Any savings might be more than offset by fewer happy customers lining up to buy. Put custom back into customer, Volvo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I do remember the Inscription seats being more comfortable, but mostly because of more side bolstering.

That said, I went with a Momentum because the seats there are just fine and I hate cleaning and maintaining perforated leather. Even the back seats where the kids sit are perforated, even though they aren't cooled. That's just madness. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
My upgraded Momentum seats aren't perforated. I think that is (or was) the upgraded Inscription seats.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I didn't have an option to upgrade my Momentum seats. I wonder which ones I have...
Nappa leather was offered in past on Momentum, not MY2020 any more.

I agree they should offer better seats on T8. It deserves better treatment than T5/T6. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It may have changed for MY20, but Momentum seats in the US have always been leather seats.

I chose the Momentum trim because I found the seats in that trim to be much more comfortable TO ME that either the RD or Inscription seats.

Personally, I found the RD seats to be very uncomfortable. The Inscription seats were better than the RD, but miles behind the comfort level I got from the Momentum seats. I guess it just shows that different people have a different perception of what "comfort" means to them.

During the final selection of options for my current XC90, I also tested the optional "Contour" seats on the Momentum but found them uncomfortable as well so I went with the "standard" Momentum seats. I have never regretted the decision.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I see that the Volvo website is indicating that MY2020 Momentums come with "leatherette" upholstery", which I assume means no longer the leather seats I have in my MY2018 Momentum. I also see that the number of exterior color choices in the Momentum is less than with the Inscription.

·
Registered
845 Posts
IIRC, standard Momentum T5 seats in 2017 (US) were not leather, at least not all-leather. And that even though they saved money on my seats because it was a 5-seater. That was one of the reasons I bought it-- we did not and do not want a 7-seat car, and it is too bad that Volvo dropped that option, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts