SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My C70 does not have dedicated daytime running lights, but is still configured to shine its lights all the time. Is there a way to make the headlights turn off when the light-switch is in the "off" position? (VIDA is available)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know the dealer can upload new software to disable DRLs.I think I have seen somewhere on SS or C30crew where VIDA can be used but not for certain.

Powered by 5 mad Vikings

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen DRL options on the CEM for C30s, but I didn't see any on the C70.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
First, you do have daytime running lights. Your daytime running lights are the low beams, but you will notice that you can not engage the high beams when in light position 0. You can only flash them.

Second, you can disable them with SW# 30679690
This will have all lights off in Position 0, parking lights on in position I, and your regular headlights on in position II.

This will make automatic lights obsolete and there may be a different SW# if you have a newer model C70 which has the fog lights as your DRLs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As I said: no dedicated(!) DRLs. In the moment the "Day" Position makes no sense to me. If I want low beams I can also use the II position, but as you said in the other mode I can't engage the high beams which is just confusing.

OK, so I guess I need a dealer (e.g. a Vida subscription) since it is a SW download and no parameter?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's not a huge difference, but in position 0 / "Day" Position, the low beams do function at reduced brightness as DRL, at least on my '08.

There's a sensor and in position 0 they will then shine brighter (the equivalent of position II) when it gets dark. Have someone switch from 0 to Position II while observing the lights and you will see the difference in the daytime. Or shine against your garage door and observe. It's noticeable if you look at your lights reflecting off the rear bumper in front of you at a stop light...pull up nice and close so you can see the reflection of the bulbs in their bumper and switch from 0 to II.....you'll see it.

I often notice them switch from DRL to Normal in Position 0 almost every day as i pull the the car into the garage.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Wasn't sure if the reduced brightness was applicable to both halogen and xenon, or just xenon.

Both of my 2004.5 S40s and 2008 C30 (all had factory xenon) had reduced brightness.
But the OP is right, the bulb is not individually dedicated to DRLs. But most cars just use their low beams anyway. The other lights are considered parking lights.

I'm not sure if anyone with Vida can install the software. I don't know if anyone has tried it on their own.

I've always paid the $25 for the software and had the dealer do it at the same time as other services, so they wouldn't charge me for the labor. It's too expensive to burn xenon bulbs every time the car is on, especially when 70% of my driving is in day light. Plus, DRLs are not a US requirement.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will have to test the brightness thing. Are you sure that the sensor doesn't work the same way in position II? At least the instrument lights are also sensor dependent in this setting.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I will have to test the brightness thing. Are you sure that the sensor doesn't work the same way in position II? At least the instrument lights are also sensor dependent in this setting.
It doesn't on mine (that I've noticed), but mine is also a 2008. They changed a lot in later years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think so, otherwise when switching to II as I described previously, it would remain dim.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I finally thought about this while it was still bright outside. As you said, the halogens too are dimmed by daylight when they are in "DRL-mode" but on full throttle when they are on "low-beam mode" (mine's a 2011 model, so no changes on the facelift).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts