SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Volvo S60R with 177k on it and my dipstick keeps popping out causing oil to spray out every where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have a 2004 Volvo S60R with 177k on it and my dipstick keeps popping out causing oil to spray out every where.

Sounds like a PCV issue, have you done the glove test?

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are right I had that happen and I left it, ended up puking out several seals, check it stat, make sure you hold the dipstick in

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
And aside from the PCV being clogged, the dipstick O-rings do get hard with age and not hold the dipstick in place. Happened to mine even on a freshly built engine with perfect leak down numbers and no blowby. Cheap and simple to replace them fortunately...never had it pop again after doing so.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And aside from the PCV being clogged, the dipstick O-rings do get hard with age and not hold the dipstick in place. Happened to mine even on a freshly built engine with perfect leak down numbers and no blowby. Cheap and simple to replace them fortunately...never had it pop again after doing so.
Going to try this first

·
Registered
528 Posts
Going to try this first

Before repairing the dipstick I would do the glove test. It's really easy to do and the PCV being clogged is much worse that the dipstick popping out. You really kinda want it to be the point of least resistance if you are having pressure build up in your engine without a functioning PCV.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
^ Agree doing the glove test is quick and simple and will rule out a clogged system which would then put strain on other seals. Probably worth ordering the O-rings anyway since they are likely old and hard.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before repairing the dipstick I would do the glove test. It's really easy to do and the PCV being clogged is much worse that the dipstick popping out. You really kinda want it to be the point of least resistance if you are having pressure build up in your engine without a functioning PCV.
How would I do the glove test ?

·
Registered
16,847 Posts
Then I guess you should proceed to rings on the dipstick. I forget- how many miles? NVm. 177k. Has pcv ever been done? Is this the banjo bolt thing too?
Never mind I just did it and it sucked it in like normal

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then I guess you should proceed to rings on the dipstick. I forget- how many miles? NVm. 177k. Has pcv ever been done? Is this the banjo bolt thing too?
I need to look through the service records again I purchased the car with 142k not sure if I remember seeing that on the records but I’ll get back to you on that !

·
Registered
744 Posts
Never mind I just did it and it sucked it in like normal

You can also get a cheap Manometer off Amazon to get a more accurate measurement to compare to spec.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts