SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have an 05 SR with 102000 on the clock. I started it uo tonight and the engine light popped up and really concerned me. I piped the hood and noticed a bit of oil sprayed around the engine. I noticed the dipstick popped out and am wondering what could possibly do that and would it cause an engine light to pop up? If so, how urgent is it that I take it to the dealer to have a look at the computer? I'm new to this since I bought it last month. Other than that the car is in great condition and has extensive service records, the previous owner treated it very well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds like you have too much pressure build up in the crankcase. Must be a PCV issue. It is probably clogged or needs to be replaced.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have too much pressure build up in the crankcase. Must be a PCV issue. It is probably clogged or needs to be replaced.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, how much do you reckon that will cost?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Agreed with Jorge_2825. It's most likely an issue with the PCV system. Cost is something I am unsure of, but I am sure someone around knows as it's a well known general maintenance issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have a dealer do the job, it will probably be about $1600.00. That is what my daughter was recently quoted to service the PCV system. The job is labor intensive, thus the high cost. In her case they were also recommending dropping the oil pan to clear the drain back passage from the oil separator to the tune of $1000.00. I did the job for her for less than $450.00 in total parts. Right now the PCV kit from FCP is on sale for $360.99. On her 06 S60 2.5t with 127,000 miles, the oil passage in the block was totally blocked, and the separator had at least 1/2 quart (or more) of oil in it. The pressure in her crankcase was pretty neutral so she did not experience the blown out dip stick, but it would not have been long before excessive oil would have begun dumping back into the turbo intake causing blue smoke to be blown out the exhaust. I had that happen on a 850 turbo wagon. As far as the light, I don't know. Low oil level possibly?

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Do the glove test first. Cold weather + old O-rings on the dipstick can also lead to the dipstick coming out. Happened to me before and PCV system working fine...new O-rings solved issue.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Do the glove test first. Cold weather + old O-rings on the dipstick can also lead to the dipstick coming out. Happened to me before and PCV system working fine...new O-rings solved issue.
You beat me to it, can't automatically assume that the PCV is the problem. If it's a dipstick o-ring issue, then he would replace the PCV only to see it continue to happen. But most likely at 102k miles and 11 years old, the PCV would be due. Glove test will tell you for sure. If not familiar just google "glove test PCV". You will find all the info you need.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
To chime in on cost, I bought all the parts from iPD for $362 and my dealer installed them for about $650.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input, fellas. Anybody know of a garage I can use in west michigan? It's cold as all hell and I don't have any of the proper tools to do this. I have the capability and will power to do it myself, but not 1600 to take it to a dealer.

To be clear, the glove test is sliding the finger of a rubber glove over the end of the dipstick tube at idle and seeing if the glove inflates or collapses based on if there is positive or negative pressure?

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
I replaced all of the PCV when my PCV hose crumbled at 45k. it was around $500 all said and done.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Thanks for all the input, fellas. Anybody know of a garage I can use in west michigan? It's cold as all hell and I don't have any of the proper tools to do this. I have the capability and will power to do it myself, but not 1600 to take it to a dealer.

To be clear, the glove test is sliding the finger of a rubber glove over the end of the dipstick tube at idle and seeing if the glove inflates or collapses based on if there is positive or negative pressure?

Or you can remove the oil cap and place the entire glove over that with a tight rubber band. Meaning leave the dipstick in.

But you have the general concept. On a car with a failed PCV system, the glove will slowly inflate or do nothing. There should be constant vacuum so you should see the glove (or finger) slowly start to deflate. You can also rev the car and make the glove inflate and it should immediately get sucked back in after you let your foot off the throttle.

This is a video I made for my 850 immediately following replacing the PCV system in full.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This has been covered many times on this forum.

Step 1: As the others have already mentioned, test the PCV.

Step 2: Replace the o rings on the dipstick. Most often this is the actual issue.

Step 3: STOP MAKING DUPLICATE THREADS.
Instead of being passive aggressive, be helpful and provide links to the previous posts you're talking about. This is a forum, not a library. Saying, look up other posts, or it's been covered many times, isn't helping the guy out now is it? Since it's such a common issue, put it as a sticky maybe. And we all know how bad our search is on this site.

Here's a few threads similar to this issue.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ut-PCV-already-done&highlight=dipstick+popped

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?225293-Yet-another-PCV-thread&highlight=dipstick+popped

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?194571-PCV-Clogged&highlight=dipstick+popped

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ng-for-da-pcv-valve&highlight=dipstick+popped

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
This has been covered many times on this forum.

Step 1: As the others have already mentioned, test the PCV.

Step 2: Replace the o rings on the dipstick. Most often this is the actual issue.

Step 3: STOP MAKING DUPLICATE THREADS.
Relax. He also has a check engine light at the same time which might be coincidence but is definitely not common with a failed PCV system. Failed PCV systems are hidden failures which is why it's good to perform checks and replace on regular intervals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Relax. He also has a check engine light at the same time which might be coincidence but is definitely not common with a failed PCV system. Failed PCV systems are hidden failures which is why it's good to perform checks and replace on regular intervals.
Thank you! I checked a lot of threads here but none had the engine light which was a cause for my concern. Thank you for recognizing this and thanks to everyone who offered helpful comments.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go visit your nearest auto parts store and have them scan the car to figure out what the ODB code is instead of continuing to wonder about it.
My buddy is coming over tonight with a standard OBDII scanner to see if it will give us a code. However, I've been somewhat forced to presume that these aren't as accurate as having the VIDA/DICE kit. Should I be weary?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts