SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I have not been able to find this .... I don't know if I'm being e-tarded or not .... but I have a specific intercooler I would like to buy and try and fit and need to know the dimensions of the space the current intercooler occupies and how much space either side (looks very tight) and also the distance from center point of the intake and outlet of the intercooler.

I could try measuring it with a piece of tape but it would yield totally craptastic results, (need a bit better precision).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

ahh and also what are the standard intercooler pipe dimensions 2.5 inch?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Why don't you just use any universal intercooler and make your own setup instead of seeking out the exact same thing as the OEM on and stuff it in the middle of the AC condenser and the radiator where it will draw some heat off those two items.

If it's for simple plug and play reasons then I would look at IPD, ViVA, for their drop-in intercooler which is meant to fit right in that same spot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems a bit stupid to buy any old intercooler and not check the dimensions of the space its supposed to fit into........

·
Registered
416 Posts
What is the purpose for the replacement? To upgrade or to repair a leaking/damaged OEM unit ect ect? I take it you are dead set on finding a new cooler to go in the stock location, with that comes the question I asked above, why? If you're going through all that work on removing the stock unit you can push the AC condenser to the rear closer to the radiator where the OEM intercooler was and then upgrade to something better and go any size you want basically. That's what I was getting at.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Why don't you just use any universal intercooler and make your own setup instead of seeking out the exact same thing as the OEM on and stuff it in the middle of the AC condenser and the radiator where it will draw some heat off those two items.

If it's for simple plug and play reasons then I would look at IPD, ViVA, for their drop-in intercooler which is meant to fit right in that same spot.
ipd is drop in replacement, ViVA is not (unless they added something new to their lineup)

·
Registered
416 Posts
That's right theirs is a true FMIC my bad.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the purpose for the replacement? To upgrade or to repair a leaking/damaged OEM unit ect ect? I take it you are dead set on finding a new cooler to go in the stock location, with that comes the question I asked above, why? If you're going through all that work on removing the stock unit you can push the AC condenser to the rear closer to the radiator where the OEM intercooler was and then upgrade to something better and go any size you want basically. That's what I was getting at.
I'm asking for the width at the front as there seems to be parts either side and I want to make sure I can fit a low and wide intercooler to make sure the Core is exposed at the front. I don't want the IPD one because A) everyone says its heavy and B) its in the USA and I'm in the UK and I'm not that interested in importing it. C) its nearly the same as the stock one Could get the MTE one but its more expensive anyway even though its the same?

No the reason I'm asking for dimensions is because there are multiple manufacturers producing very excellent front mount intercoolers for the MK2 Focus RS which is power by a volvo unit albeit not entirely the same but the intake and outlets of the upgrade FMICs are similar to the V70R's and that is specifically why I am asking about width dimensions. It already seems to me that even though the 90mm may not be the thickest you can get away with the thickness has an adverse effect on pressure drop from some of the stuff I have seen. W/E Though as I have not done any testing on that sort of thing.

The RS intercoolers range from 450-690 odd pounds (£ Sterling) which is much better than paying 710 dollars for a Viva one which doesn't quite fill the front lower valence grill properly and exposes tanks and also needs some protection on the starter which isn't mentioned in their instructions. Same with the Bell most of it is behind the front impact structure which seems to be a poor use of space no offense to the guys who use these or make these. (note I would have to pay 200 dollars for shipping and possibly another 20% on import duties)

The Pace RS Intercooler seems as though it would be better suited for an R as it is extremely wide 790mm and also very low 210mm with a 90mm thickness. I would like to fit this one as it wouldn't have those end connectors which I am not very fond of and also has a air scoop although not quite ducted improves efficiency of a heat exchanger by a large margin as it doesn't go over the edges of the heat exchanger.

The other RS Intercoolers look as if they're more suited to the angled front valence of the focus (the stock one is mostly rubbish apparently). The other option is a Spec R intercooler which has the added bonus of being able to mount an oil cooler on the top, also comes with adapter plate and thermostat (setrab heat exchanger too). But that one is a bit too expensive. The Airtec mk2 intercooler supposedly makes the most power for the RS but at 65mm its thinner (Spec R makes more torque and has bigger pipes) its also one of the cheapest intercoolers. The RS comes with 50.8mm piping OTE or 2 inches :D and is made of plastic so they are all changing theirs for aluminium tubing thats 2.5 inches (some reason the inlets and outlets of the intercoolers are all 2.5 inches).

I would've thought the natural assumption for an aftermarket intercooler would be to place it at the front and move the AC Condensor but heh proved wrong.

Anyway that all said I still need the exact dimensions of between the center points of the circumferance of the inlet and outlet of the stock IC presumably it takes up most of the width of the vehicle or space in the engine bay? I don't particularly want to take the car apart just to measure it up to make sure I don't miss something if someone else already knows and I don't really want to buy some random universal heat exchanger and mess about trying to fit it and dealing with the inefficiency as I don't have a welder to modify it and paying someone will just be ridiculously expensive.

~Ah URO I think you got confused when I said width and thought I meant thickness! Probably should've said length x height x width instead of width x height x thickness though I have mixed it with width=length x height x thickness already in above but I am not referencing the thickness as width. Hopefully that clears things up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts