SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 s60 T5 with 82k km.

Started with instrument cluster gauges going off or to 0 (fuel/temp/speed/tach/clock/etc) and losing the LCD display. Brake failure messages also. This came and went, intermittently, maybe 12 times over a 20 minute drive, lasting ~30 seconds each time.

Replaced battery Tuesday and checked fuses. All seemed ok for couple of days, although noted a few power steering service messages flash by Thursday evening.

Saturday drove out of town ~120 km, no issues. About to return Sunday, couldn't use keyless to get into car. Got in with blade key, engine started fine, but no instrument cluster or display functions again, and also (new) no center console functions (heat/fans/nothing), no power locks/windows/seats. Basically the engine ran with DRL, wipers and fluid. I drove it ~10 mins, saw a couple functions coming back, so pulled over and restarted the engine several times, each time would get various/different functions back. After ~4th restart, had all functions, so drove home without recurrence (120km), and now haven't seen problem again for 2 days (~3 15-20 minute trips).

Dealer diagnostic today shows nothing. (not even any failure codes from weekend...which seems fishy)

I've read a bunch of posts, and it sounds like I might be looking at xemodex DIM repair, except the center console failure bothers me...could that be related to DIM failure?

Also planning to check power seat module, might try driving with it disconnected for a while...

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
To me this sounds like a defective Central Electronics Module (CEM) A defective DIM shouldn't cause a problem with keyless entry or the center console unless maybe it's bringing down the CAN bus (assuming these functions are on the same CAN bus). I am surprised no fault codes were founds. I would think something as sophisticated as the CEM would have built in test function. These types of intermittent problems are the worst. Unless the dealer has a TSB for this problem they will probably need to see it happening to try to figure out the cause.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
You said you replaced the battery, who did the replacement? From what I gather on this site, these cars are very sensitive to the type of battery used and the procedure used to replace it (its not like the old days of unhook old, connect new) I believe I read about someone here who had similiar issues after replacing a battery.

I agree a DIM repair is not the problem because you are getting multiple messages not related to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts