SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRS error - DIM internal fault. Dealer says $1575 for the part, plus work
Rear anti-sway bar bushings are noisy as can be but the bolts are seized. Dealer suggests $1600 for new subframe in the works.
Replaced turbo last year.

Am I near that point of putting more in than the car is worth, or do I proceed in the hopes that this saves me a year plus of car payments and pays off?

I love this car - it's been great fun for the last 120,000 miles, but if this is the start of a repair expense snowball....

Note that this is the first car I've kept past 100k miles, so this is uncharted territory for me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Interesting. I have a 2002 S60 AWD, bought it new and now have 183k on it. so far nothing major has gone wrong. BUT, I still am on orginal struts and they need replaced, my DIM stopped working, I have a boost issue (but have a new TVC in the mail to me). Knowing this year is known for transmission issues I think my plan is to limp into 200k and call it a day, that will be 15 years for me with this one. It has served me well. By the way, good crankcase pressure and never touched PCV system, I have changed the oil on a regular basis and same with the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Keep away from the dealer, they are usually $$$. Goto an independent and get a second opinion. Dealers will usually throw a blanket fix on issues without addressing issues individually. Search around and ask ok the forums if there are any reputable shops in your area.

A DIM isn't hard to remove, if you know how to assemble IKEA furniture then you can remove a DIM. Xemodex rebuilds these units, I'm unsure of anyone who rebuilds DIMS state side.
http://xemodex.com/

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Xemodex sounds very promising. Now to figure out how to get collaboration between them and the dealer to make sure I get the right part fixed (dealer thinks DIM, xemodex thinks CEM). :confused:

I have an indie in the area which is very good for most repairs, but they have shied away from certain kinds of work in the past.

As for rear subframe, is there a way to get my hands on one off a junker that was in a head-on collision or something?

·
Registered
5,501 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T
252 Posts
If the CEM is causing issues it's due to it overheating. Xemodex will isntall a heatsink onto the CEM and this will remedy the issues. Here is a DIY:
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?27249-I-added-a-heatsink-to-my-2004-CEM-CPU Maybe send this over to your indy.

You can find almost anything at the junk yard, you just need to phone around and get quotes.
+1 on the heat sink on the CEM. SUPER easy to do - and Xemodex charges you $450 to do a $50 job...go figure. It's a $20 heat sink though Xemodex also does the smaller chip next to the CEM as well..either way, it'll fix ALL 2001-2004 XC70/V70 CEM overheating issues 100% (as long as the CEM hasn't burnt out due to overheating). And you can do it in under an hour - the longest step was unplugging and plugging in all the relays. Also - ditch the silver shield over the CEM - that actually is probably causing heat issues.

If I knew the fix was this easy, I would of done it years ago. I now recommend any XC/V70 owner who has a 2.5T from 2001-2004 do this very easy mod and save yourself from a tonne of headaches of "rear left door open" then the DIM going dead, then the transmission going into safe mode, then error messages that the Brake Booster is faulty and a dozen other error messages because the CEM is the intersection between the Hi and Low speed buses.

Ed

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a heat sink might be good insurance for the CEM.

Xemodex has decided it's truly the DIM, so it's on its way to Canada as I type. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T
252 Posts
Sounds like a heat sink might be good insurance for the CEM.

Xemodex has decided it's truly the DIM, so it's on its way to Canada as I type. Fingers crossed!
For sure, even if it's not the CEM, it's just a matter of time before your CEM starts to act up.

Ed

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Xemodex sounds very promising. Now to figure out how to get collaboration between them and the dealer to make sure I get the right part fixed (dealer thinks DIM, xemodex thinks CEM). :confused:

I have an indie in the area which is very good for most repairs, but they have shied away from certain kinds of work in the past.

As for rear subframe, is there a way to get my hands on one off a junker that was in a head-on collision or something?
I have a V70T5 2001 that has complete rear subframe. Let me know what you need and you can have it cheap plus shipping.

I did the Xemodex thing on my 2003. They did great work. I dropped it off in the morning and it was ready before noon. If the SRS light is on you will have to reset with VIDA or capable hand unit. Glück.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would have your indy look at the rear bar/bolt issue.
I think the dealer is just giving you the easy way out....easy for them atleast.
I have seen these bolts rust on the heads but never "seize"
You would be best off with a used unit it as should not cost you as much but labor will be the fun part.

SRS error - DIM internal fault. Dealer says $1575 for the part, plus work
Rear anti-sway bar bushings are noisy as can be but the bolts are seized. Dealer suggests $1600 for new subframe in the works.
Replaced turbo last year.

Am I near that point of putting more in than the car is worth, or do I proceed in the hopes that this saves me a year plus of car payments and pays off?

I love this car - it's been great fun for the last 120,000 miles, but if this is the start of a repair expense snowball....

Note that this is the first car I've kept past 100k miles, so this is uncharted territory for me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, the DIM checks out just fine at Xemodex. A day of testing and they can't make anything break. Maybe it just needed the old windows restart? (I wish)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.