SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My new XC90 arriving in 2 weeks (with 20''summer wheels). Finally all the winter sets are available here. Now I am thinking if to take 20''or 19'' ? 19''could have a bit softer ride ? (or not that big difference to 20''?). At time when only 18''winter were available here, I said ok, what to do, I will take those, but I feel they may look a bit funny on such a big car (while the ride may be smoothest). 19'' may seem like a good compromise but the problem is Volvo is offering them only with Pirelli Scorpion tyres, which are clearly not very good winter tyres - so that I would have to change the tyres for better and to do something with those Scorpions. 20''wheels use 275 mm tyres, 19''and 18'' 235 mm tyres. Narrower may be better for snow ? (plus less noisy ? ) Or not ? :) What is your opinion and experience ? I have to decide in few days. Intuitively, I am maybe leaning towards 19''...

Edit: in the end I am leaning towards 19''(and will change Scorpions for Nokian SUV WR3). I think I also like the design of 19''wheels better than 20''(for winter sets)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, just look at any reviews ... (user feedbacks or general reviews) - mostly quite bad winter/snow experience ... some people even say these Scorpions remind them summer tyres

Just randomly seen now:

"Unstable on snow and ice, does not provide that feeling of being in contact with the road or in control. Pirelli tires I have used in the past grabbed - these tires slide and are unpredictable. Aside from performance - the treadwear life expectancy on this tire is a joke. Two seasons on these tires, total winter driven KM's - 13k - tires are done. Never again Pirrelli..."

Good tire for none winter condition... When there is no snow or ice, they work good. When there is packed snow or ice, I do not feel I have any traction. Second season on them, I do not feel like they are delivering what I need under Canadian winter.

This tire does not perform on snow/ice. Tracking/cornering are poor and braking very poor on ice. Very disappointing.

This tire is horrible in snow. It is unstable in a ML63. I wish I didn't get them although until the snow came I thought they were amazing winters in the wet and dry. The tread is also wearing unevenly in all four tires. One of the rubber tracks seems to have a compound variation and appears that it is prematurely wearing as well.

etc etc

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, just name a tyre and I will show you comparable reviews, because you never know how/why people are comparing to.... :rolleyes:
In most tests the Pirelli's are simply rated 'good'.

By-the-way I've the 19" 6-spoke as winter tyre, while th 19" 10-spoke (nor the 18") are allowed on the T8.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, name me the tyre that is not rated "good" :) Look at for example Nokian SUV WR3 reviews, you simply cannot find this type of comments about snow behaviour etc. (or at least that many).

Here there is only 10 -spoke 19'' winter Volvo set offered.

So you have Pirelli Scorpions ? But I suppose there is not much snowy roads, mountains and conditions in Netherlands ? :) Here we have rather Siberia at the moment.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Just in case, if you have any occasion that you will need tire chain on icy road, 19" wheel is easier to fit tire chain on. And 19" tires are cheaper. It is good to go 19" in winter while bigger wheels in warm seasons for looking. Riding should be similar with 19" and 20" though.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
By-the-way I've the 19" 6-spoke as winter tyre, while th 19" 10-spoke (nor the 18") are allowed on the T8.
Did you mean to say the 19-inch 10-spoke is NOT allowed on the T8? (Trying to get good info on what rims are allowed on the T8 is difficult.) Alas - Ivos's original post doesn't show the 6-spoke ...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I showed are the only winter sets Volvo officially provides for the new XC90 (at least here in Europe)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What I showed are the only winter sets Volvo officially provides for the new XC90 (at least here in Europe)
I think the issue is that the T8 variant of the XC90 has both increased weight and the breaks are much larger - unfortunately a lot of the sales and marketing info does not distinguish between what is acceptable on the T6 and what is acceptable on the T5.

I'm considering the purchase of rims and snow tires for my T8 - the 19-inch rims would be preferable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts