SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says I would appreciate some thoughts from you..
facts are that I've got a very very good price for the '21 T8 Recharge r-design and maybe a very very good sales price for my T6.
So,keep it or go for the T8 ?

Thank u.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would but I’m T8 biased. It is an amazing blend of mechanical and electrical engineering.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.
I would just add that the deletion from options for the paddles shifters and the 112mph speed cut off tend to be some sort of deal breaker...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Legitimate question, are you regularly doing 112mph? I road trip from CA to ID occasionally and even on those long country stretches, I think I've hit 110 mph once overtaking a big rig.

I too am biased toward the T8 but I own a '21 Recharge Inscription.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Since you got a great great deal, why not. :)

T8 is great great great. The best way I can think to describe it is, T8 is like you get 3 cars in one, quiet EV, fuel saving, and a V8-alike power toy. Use power or hybrid/pure mode to your mood and it is always pleasure to drive.

Sensus is faster on 2021 and fuel tank is normal 18.5 gal. Nothing to lose. Still 3 years to SPA2 remodel so nothing to regret either.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not doing 112 mph often but sometimes in my road trips i may hit 200kmh (please dont shoot me ..i am not in US..though)
Assuming you drain the battery in a foad trip ,power remains more or less the same in T8??

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I am not doing 112 mph often but sometimes in my road trips i may hit 200kmh (please dont shoot me ..i am not in US..though)
Assuming you drain the battery in a foad trip ,power remains more or less the same in T8??
When battery is low, the engine will charge it to maintain the level. You still have the 400HP power for overtaking quickly, but it won't last very long.
200km/h is still sustainable because you don't need 400HP to keep speed at 200km/h.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep, afaik the full 400hp is always available for short bursts regardless of battery state. The engine + regenerative braking keeps a charge that's enough to handle it.

I have 1000 miles on my 2021 and I used to drive my old car in "sport" mode as a standard for the extra power but when I hit "power" mode on my Recharge, I'm often surprised at the power and switch back out :D Like FusionRed said, it really is the best of all of the worlds. If it's a new car you also get the federal tax credit which really helps bring that price down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you confirm that no shift paddles are available in T8 ?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would not underestimate the additional weight. The T8 might be faster, but you can feel the battery when cornering. The T6 feels a lot more nimble, imho.
Don't get me wrong. I have gone the T8 route for our cars in the past (done with Volvo for the moment). But I would not consider it a clear dominating choice. There are tradeoffs.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
A wise man once said - On those infinite hills you need 400 hp continuously...Otherwise, you're lugging around "dead" battery weight.
You do need 400HP or even more accelerating uphill to 200km/h. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would not underestimate the additional weight. The T8 might be faster, but you can feel the battery when cornering. The T6 feels a lot more nimble, imho.
Don't get me wrong. I have gone the T8 route for our cars in the past (done with Volvo for the moment). But I would not consider it a clear dominating choice. There are tradeoffs.
The T8 only weighs 220kg/460lbs more than the T6. The last time I had an XC60 T6 loaner it felt lighter, but less rigid and less planted on the road. Sound dampening on the T8 is better also. The T6 didn’t have air suspension so it wasn’t a real good comparison.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Without more information as to your priorities or the deals you have (and therefore based on my priorities alone ), keep the '18 since the 2021 doesn't deliver much in addition (from my perspective).

Off course if you provide more information and the prices are very similar and you explain your priorities (performance, fuel economy, reliability, cache, long term cost, up front cost etc) then the decision might change. Please provide more context.

A two year old car is quite serviceable so its up to you if you have have discretionary funds to 'upgrade' so soon..

as the title says I would appreciate some thoughts from you..
facts are that I've got a very very good price for the '21 T8 Recharge r-design and maybe a very very good sales price for my T6.
So,keep it or go for the T8 ?

Thank u.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'll try to keep it short..
the only reasons for change is that maybe I'll get good money for the sale and in the end I will cash out for the purchase no more than $5k.
The other reason being the better standard equipment and packages I will have with the '21 and 5 year guarantee ...mine had 2 years

·
Registered
632 Posts
The T8 only weighs 220kg/460lbs more than the T6. The last time I had an XC60 T6 loaner it felt lighter, but less rigid and less planted on the road. Sound dampening on the T8 is better also. The T6 didn’t have air suspension so it wasn’t a real good comparison.
I have no opinion about the T8. It's a vehicle I'll look at closely when my lease is up, for sure However, 460 pounds is hardly something I'd refer to as "only". That a HUGE difference in weight. You're talking 10 to 15 percent weight increase depending on final config. It's like adding 3 passengers.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have no opinion about the T8. It's a vehicle I'll look at closely when my lease is up, for sure However, 460 pounds is hardly something I'd refer to as "only". That a HUGE difference in weight. You're talking 10 to 15 percent weight increase depending on final config. It's like adding 3 passengers.
I was just about to type the same. I can see how air vs. no-air might affect things. But, apples-to-apples, it's a big difference on how "nimble" the cars feel, especially at low speeds.

And I can see the T8 having other advantages. But there are other dis-advantages as well. In short, I think there is a reason why, after tax, you are looking at very similar prices. Because the T8 is a "different" option, not a dominant one, imho.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
i'll try to keep it short..
the only reasons for change is that maybe I'll get good money for the sale and in the end I will cash out for the purchase no more than $5k.
The other reason being the better standard equipment and packages I will have with the '21 and 5 year guarantee ...mine had 2 years
If the car is in dealer lot, why not give it a try. Try the pure and power mode to see if you like it.
Also compare T8 to a more equipped new T6 with less money to see which one you like better.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was just about to type the same. I can see how air vs. no-air might affect things. But, apples-to-apples, it's a big difference on how "nimble" the cars feel, especially at low speeds.

And I can see the T8 having other advantages. But there are other dis-advantages as well. In short, I think there is a reason why, after tax, you are looking at very similar prices. Because the T8 is a "different" option, not a dominant one, imho.
You're gaining weight but you're gaining both torque and horsepower: additional weight is evident to most drivers in acceleration and the torque/hp helps offset that (that 4.8 0-60 is hilarious). Cornering (lateral acceleration, downforce) will feel it as well but I'd wager most drivers won't notice 476 pounds (4222 vs 4698, 11% difference) in anything excepted very spirited driving. I would expect most drivers to notice the eAWD and the front/rear bias shifts as the ICE cuts in and out to be more noticeable than downforce. If you're the kind of driver that can notice a 10% weight difference, you'll certainly notice the ICE/Hybrid cutovers first.

What I would consider is whether or not you're going to put in the effort to charge the car and whether or not you're willing to take the risk on the significantly increased maintenance complexity which will affect the longevity of the vehicle. I don't think a PHEV is worth considering from a monetary standpoint -- it's really negligible unless your electricity costs are extremely cheap and even then the range isn't significant -- and I'd think very carefully about whether or not electronic all-wheel-drive is what you're after.

YMMV. I'm happy with my T8 and I have had some great experiences with the eAWD but this will be my first winter ski season with it, so we'll see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts