SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to update my digital camera and am looking at the Nikon D50. I have many Nikkor lenses from 35 mm days, so a Nikon digital SLR is a natural fit. Anybody have one of these? Would appreciate your comments. Any other digital SLR useres in the forum - what is your opinion about overall robustness and ease (or not so ease) of carry them around in different situations.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Re: Digital SLRs - what do you think? (samulsoon_0503)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>samulsoon_0503</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Any other digital SLR useres in the forum - what is your opinion about overall robustness and ease (or not so ease) of carry them around in different situations.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I've owned a Canon 20D since last July and could not be more pleased. They are heavy and bulky but no more so than a 35mm film camera.<br>My one suggestion is to learn as much as possible about the camera you buy. Avoid the auto modes of the camera and get the most out of it!!<p>Think about stepping up to the D70...If you have the lenses already the price for the body should be pretty reasonable. <p>Good luck

·
Registered
795 Posts

I've been happy with my Nikon D70s ($950 w/lens $650 body only) and have cruized through at least 1000 shots now. If the <A HREF="http://www.nikondigital.com/main.html?page=dslr" TARGET="_blank">Nikon D200 ($1700 body only)</A> had been available when I made the jump up from my CoolPix 5700, then I would have paid out the extra money and gone with it.<br><A HREF="http://web.mac.com/Polartek/iWeb/jtphotos/" TARGET="_blank">Some various shots with my D70s</A>

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Digital SLRs - what do you think? (Polartek)

I've reviewed the technical differences between the D50 and the D70 - are they that much different in the hands of an amature? Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
As for Digital SLR's I've had the following:<p>Canon EOS-D30, D60, 10D, 20D, EOS-1D, EOS-1D MkII.<p>They are all great but if you can step up to one that allows you more manual control over the camera. I've been shooting for 20 years and love the digital realm.

·
Registered
36 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>samulsoon_0503</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've reviewed the technical differences between the D50 and the D70 - are they that much different in the hands of an amature? Thanks for the comments.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I honestly don't think you will see a practical difference. I'm a 15-year Nikon user and was just recently having a conversation with Nikon Canada's national service manager and his new camera of choice is the D50 - and he has every camera they make at his disposal. For the purposes of a typical 'family' user who is unlikely to actually print a digital image larger than 8x10, the D50 with 6.1MP will give you all the resolution you'll need.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Digital SLRs - what do you think? (Muskoka)

Why can't they make a digital SLR with a 1:1 focal length? The current format magnifies everything!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have the Nikon D50 and have never felt the need to upgrade. Unless you're a pro, you won't really notice the difference between a D50 & a D70.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: Digital SLRs - what do you think? (CSHDMD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>CSHDMD</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why can't they make a digital SLR with a 1:1 focal length? The current format magnifies everything!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>They can (Canon makes a couple), however full-frame (in the traditional, 35mm sense) requires a larger sensor which means greater expense which means higher cost.<p>That said, Nikon has an expanding line of DX lenses designed to specifically address this issue. A 20mm for example, will give you the angle of view that you've become accustomed to when shooting 35mm.<p>While the magnification factor is a hinderance on the wide angle end, the opposite tends to be true on the telephoto end; a 300mm/2.8 on a Nikon digital body gives you the effective angle of view of a 450mm/2.8, essentially giving you extra reach.

·
Registered
319 Posts

The D50 is an excellent entry-level camera, and even moreso if you already own Nikon glass. Be aware though that depedning on the speicific lenses you have (and their age), the D50 may not deliver full metering capabilities (for older Nikon AIS lenses, for example). If you don't know what this means, you might want to do a bit of reading - I would suggest the Nikon reviews and forums on <A HREF="http://www.dpreview.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.dpreview.com</A>, if you haven't already. (Note that this metering issue also exists with the D70; the D200 is more compatible with older Nikon lenses and solves some of these issues - and is also way more than double the price of D50).<p>If you are a "casual" shooter and intend to remain such and don't really think you'll focus on taking your photography skills to a higher level in the next year or 2, the D50 will suit you well, it really is a great camera. The D70 does have some slightly more advanced capabilities, but you may never benefit from them (see the model comparisons at <A HREF="http://www.dpreview.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.dpreview.com</A>). <p>The Canon Digital Rebel is also an excellent camera in the same price range. It's a bit smaller and lighter than the D50, and to many people feels like the build quality is not quite as good as Nikons. Of course this would mean abandoning your Nikon lenses, so probably not your first choice.<p>As mentioned here, remember the 1.5x factor on the digtal SLRs...your wide lenses won't be as wide on a D50, so you might want to budget for a new lens with the D50. The kit 18-50 is pretty decent for the money; the new 18-200VR is even better - an excellent all-around lens, in fact - but costs as much as the D50 itself.<p>Whichever you choose, get out there and take lots of pictures!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts