SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jumped in my S60 this morning and noticed a vertical, black line running straight through the display in my instrument cluster:

Regardless of the settings tweaked and buttons pressed, the line persisted during my drive to work - but heading home this afternoon, everything was back to normal. I recall only seeing this once before, but I’m curious to know if anyone else has experienced this or something similar!

Hoping it won’t be a chronic issue... I had both rear brake assemblies completely replaced under warranty about 2 months ago (probably deserves its own post!), and I’d very much like to keep my car out of the service bay and in my driveway :)

I’ll be interested to get you guys’ input!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Typical LCD parts flaw. Get it replaced.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have another thread on this. Brand new xc60. My line went away (along with the volume control stuck on adjusting proximity sound). I’m holding off switching it out since a new won’t give me much confidence since mine is already new. What’s the difference? Unless Volvo knows of the flaw and they have ones that are updated, in inventory, ready to ship to dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
You're making assumptions that you know what the root cause of the failure is: A design defect that causes an intermittent problem, that affects all displays.

But you don't know that. It could be you have a production defect in the display in your car, that affects only your display (or maybe some portion of all of them at a macro level). Its a guess but I'd assume production defects are most likely to show up sooner then later. So maybe not surprising you have a problem when the car is so new.

The strategy I would take, is see if you can reproduce it for the dealer and they will replace it under warranty. If it is in fact a bad one, you have your problem hopefully fixed forever. If your scenario is right ("they all do that") then you are no worse off, you just have a new display possibly with the same design defect.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Typical LCD parts flaw. Get it replaced.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
+1. It’s not Volvo’s “design flaw” or an “engineering issue”... just a bunk screen assembly using parts from and outsourced supplier. Random...frustrating, but easily remedied.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
+1. It’s not Volvo’s “design flaw” or an “engineering issue”... just a bunk screen assembly using parts from and outsourced supplier. Random...frustrating, but easily remedied.
It's a software glitch. Numerous folks, including myself, have seen it. It goes away after a couple of starts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts