SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 2007 xc70 recently. Here in Toronto the weather has been fairly mild. We a few cold spells hit the car did not want to start in the morning. It has 100km on it so I changed he spark plugs and gapped it to .028 the plugs I pulled out were about .05.

I replaced the spark plugs Thursday night and replaced the battery on Friday. After replacing the plugs and tried starting, it started quickly. I did notice a subtle difference. The new battery I put in was 760 CCA instead of the factory 600. Sunday morning was a cold morning about -6c. The car would not start. It took about 5min to start it. It would crank over and want to start but no go. Now that I have replaced to plugs and battery it starts sooner than it would have before. I have recorded an audio clip so that you could hear it. I posted it on vimeo and attached the link. About halfway through the clip you can hear it want to start but it then continues cranking.

http://www.vimeo.com/37959151

On a side note on Sunday I added 1 can of seafoam to a tank of gas and drove about 100km. My starts were quicker after that. But come Monday morning -11c same starting issue. After I started it almost got it up to full operating temp, I parked it and let it cool down for about an hour. I then tried starting it and it started first shot.

Any insight into my issue would be appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
how are you getting it to finally turn over? are you cranking over and over. holding a crank, or using the gas to keep your RPM's up.

Although -6 and -11 Celsius are certainly cold conditions, i have easily been in -10 Fahrenheit (-23 Celsius) and have been able to fire up no problem, also with your battery being in the trunk i would assume that a battery warmer would remain ineffective.

Is this your first winter with the car? or a newly acquired issue to this season.

·
Registered
332 Posts
** i just listened to the sound clip.

i don't want to make you replace more than you have to, i don't even know if it could produce the same problem on your car that it did on our 97 GLT 850. but the symptoms sound exact. we replaced everything trying to address the issue.

What it ended up quite simply being was the Thermostat sensor that sits on top of the thermostat housing. It was an immediate fix, and it saved us from a ton of issues.

hopefully that can give you a better direction of where to look further into it.

-Sam

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I would go with the thermo sensor. I'm in Toronto and have no issues starting with the same CCA battery on an 04.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sam, when this happened to you did your temperature gage in the car work properly, did it seam to read correctly or was it way off?

Thanks
Temperature gauge read correctly from what i recall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts