SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

while surfing the web for any S60 R-Design updates I noticed that some of the R-design pictures have bigger wing than the other. Mine has a tiny wing and I believe it follows the EU specifications unlike the US which has a bigger one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like wing envy ;)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
got a little wingy?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I actually prefer the bigger spoiler on the new S60 rear, the tiny lip spoiler is too tiny and looked better on the previous P2 S60's.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The larger spoiler is much nicer, and probably more functional as well.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Volvo did a mid-year switch to the smaller spoiler (nub). Our early MY15 S60 RD (produced in Nov. 2013) had the bigger spoiler which I prefer. IMO, the smaller spoiler is too small, and should be taller (closer to the 2013 Aussie Polestar car). I'm sure a larger spoiler can be purchased from the Parts dept or aftermarket.

2013 Australian limited production S60 Polestar:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Volvo did a mid-year switch to the smaller spoiler (nub). Our early MY15 S60 RD (produced in Nov. 2013) had the bigger spoiler which I prefer. IMO, the smaller spoiler is too small, and should be taller (closer to the 2013 Aussie Polestar car). I'm sure a larger spoiler can be purchased from the Parts dept or aftermarket.

2013 Australian limited production S60 Polestar:

See that little one looks fantastic to me, I've got a 2013 R-Design so i don't know if there were any size changes for that year but I'm going to do some digging. It might even look good without one at all...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
See that little one looks fantastic to me, I've got a 2013 R-Design so i don't know if there were any size changes for that year but I'm going to do some digging. It might even look good without one at all...
This is the big-little one, not the little-little one now sold on the R-Designs. Going without the spoiler looks OK, if OK is what you're looking for. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is the big-little one, not the little-little one now sold on the R-Designs. Going without the spoiler looks OK, if OK is what you're looking for. ;)
haha I love the idea of this car being under the radar, and something about this spoiler bothers me... mine is below, maybe it is when I close the trunk I have to grab spoiler instead of the trunk lid like I'm used to? I dunno what my deal is :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I think the spoiler is relatively understated as is, but it isn't the most seamless design. The naked trunk does have a nice little natural flip near the end, so the design is not lacking without a spoiler, I just like the idea of emphasizing or differentiating the R-Design. The little lip spoiler would probably suit you unless you prefer to go without anything. Go with what makes you happy, it's a great looking car either way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ruester -- there is a clever little pull handle INSIDE your trunk lid to help you pull the trunk shut so you needn't dirty your hands or smudge any dirt upon your external trunk spoiler (or lack thereof).;)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
...I just like the idea of emphasizing or differentiating the R-Design...
That spoiler was an accessory for the S60 even before the R-Designs hit the NA Market.

Ruester -- there is a clever little pull handle INSIDE your trunk lid to help you pull the trunk shut so you needn't dirty your hands or smudge any dirt upon your external trunk spoiler (or lack thereof).;)
When it stays in place. Mine is constantly falling out. Even had the dealer replace it which took an extra day to order the part. And that one fell out too. I finally just put a screw through it, problem solved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ha! I thought you were messing with me but I checked this morning just in case and what do you know, interior trunk handle! Thank you for the tip, probably wouldn't have noticed that for years :)

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That spoiler was an accessory for the S60 even before the R-Designs hit the NA Market.
Yes, and how many opt for that? My estimation is that 9 out of 10 S60's with a spoiler are R-Designs. But thanks for chiming in....

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Yes, and how many opt for that? My estimation is that 9 out of 10 S60's with a spoiler are R-Designs. But thanks for chiming in....
No need to be snotty. I was merely pointing out that spoiler is available to all and so not exclusive to an R-Design.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No need to be snotty. I was merely pointing out that spoiler is available to all and so not exclusive to an R-Design.
Yep. I have it on my T5 and I think it looks great. IMO the back looks naked without it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the spoiler is relatively understated as is, but it isn't the most seamless design. The naked trunk does have a nice little natural flip near the end, so the design is not lacking without a spoiler, I just like the idea of emphasizing or differentiating the R-Design. The little lip spoiler would probably suit you unless you prefer to go without anything. Go with what makes you happy, it's a great looking car either way.
yeah absolutely agree, and I love the understated style to it. I'm definitely going to try it out without, if it isn't screwed on it should be easy to go back and forth between having it or not - so if I regret it I'll just pop it back on and call it a day. I'll throw up some pictures with it off so people can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Oh I see. I suppose I took your unnecessary clarification of my statement as being "snotty". My mistake, and thanks for pointing that out for those unaware, who may have read into my comments a suggestion that this specific spoiler was not available as an option on run-of-the-mill S60's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts