SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter from my dealer, saying that the service interval for the lower mainland/Pacific northwest is 6000kms (~4500mi), instead of the 12000kms (7000mi) the owner's manual - and every other source I've found, for that matter - states.<p>They cite the driving conditions here are the cause for that; I have never experienced the conditions here to be demanding in any way.<p>My question is this: is this simply a way to coax me out of my money, or is there a genuine reason for me to service my XC90 every 6000kms?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Re: Different service intervals (Spasoje)

The dealer is full of poop and just wants to screw you out of your money. <p>Follow the owners manual religiously and tell them to pound sand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Different service intervals (Spasoje)

When I was a kid (a long time ago) it was normal to change oil every 2K. Engine overhaul was "normal" between 60-70K, or at least a "top end" job (grind valves). There would be a class action suit if that happened today.<p>As for 4,500 miles, well, please think of the last time you heard of a modern engine "blowing up" or even using excessive oil, regardless of how that engine was treated or how often the oil was changed. If you can think of one, now think of a second. You can't because they (and the oil used) is so much better than they use to be. It doesn't happen.<p>Follow the manual. If you do a lot of stop and go and/or don't fully warm it up every time it's started, you might want to consider reducing that particular interval to perhaps 5K, otherwise stay with what's recommended.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Different service intervals (JimJa1943)

<p>During that time most got a new car every few years also...<p>Modern tech has allowed much better working of the metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts