SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This story popped into my mind this morning and made me laugh, so I thought I would share.... who says a car can't make you popular?

My dad has a '67 1800S that he bought new. It is his second; the first being a '65 that he also bought new, but sold when he got shipped out (career Navy), to be replaced by the '67 upon his return.

Anyway, of his stories involving these cars, two stick out in my mind as something to share, because they are funny (IMO) and may bring out similar stories from others?

The seat webbing in the front seats was always kinda stretched out and needed replacing, but I never put 2 and 2 together until this morning....

Once, when his ship was in the port of Long Beach, CA, a group of the officers decided to head into downtown for some R&R. My dad was the only one with a car..... Two of the officers were well over 6', so they got in the front with my dad, while the remaining 5 managed to get in the back. That's 8 GROWN MEN in an 1800! They caused a minor stir unloading at the curb when they got downtown....

Another time, when he was coaching the Navy Women's Sailing Team for the Jackson Memorial Team Race, he once again found himself in the position of being the only one with wheels. This time, he transported 12 members of the team from the Academy to the lake they practiced on! 13 ADULTS in an 1800 (my dad plus 12 women - way to go dad!)!! I love that story....

Anybody else have fun stories to share? I figure this could be an interesting thread, and a break from the usual technical stuff!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'd be interested to know how he did that......
I was thinking the same thing, and wondered if that was an old fishing tale.. Actual Cubic feet in the interior, along with the seat configuration, doesnt really add up. Not to mention the actual total passenger weight, just seems to be a bit extreme..

·
Registered
897 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, and wondered if that was an old fishing tale.. Actual Cubic feet in the interior, along with the seat configuration, doesnt really add up. Not to mention the actual total passenger weight, just seems to be a bit extreme..
you must admit though.....it would be a HECK of a LOT of fun to try the girls team fit...... ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trying to wrap my head around it always makes me chuckle.... You know what they say, where there's a will there's a way, and necessity is the mother of invention! Also, those Navy guys were used to being packed in like sardines....

Another time, during a move, my dad had the car so stuffed that my grandmother (a very petite woman) had to ride on the parcel shelf in the rear window! Not sure if she ended up there because of her indomitable sense of adventure or her mother-in-law status, though!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love those links!!! Haha I can see that guy now organizing it.... "Okay, ladies. For the sake of space I'm going to need you all to wear these semi-transparent tight white bodysuits..."

And now it is confirmed that a Volvo can be driven with 13 people in it! Just not in London.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts