SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock HK system in my 2019 inscription. Two USB ports in the armrest, one with the white square around it. The day I took the xc60 home, I tried Android auto in both usb ports. Only worked in the white box usb. So, I assumed that only the white box was i/o and the other was for charging. Last night, I finally got around to experimenting with a USB key filled with music. Worried beautifully in both ports, and now I can use the usb key in one shot while Android auto is connected to the other.

So, forgive the newbie question, but what gives? Exactly what is the difference in capabilities between the two ports?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
From the SPA xc90 user guide (I suspect identical for SPA xc60):
An external audio source, e.g. an iPod or MP3 player, can be connected to the audio system via any of the connectors in the tunnel console.
In the cases where there are two USB ports, the one with the white frame around the port must be used for connecting a phone when it will be used for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
So, the controller for those two USB ports differ; while both understand how to use USB protocol to play video/music, only the "one with the white frame around the port" has a driver for CarPlay or AA protocol.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're being gracious and patient here, because the real answer is " read the f'ing manual! ".

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You're welcome. Prior to consulting the user guide, I hadn't realized that the one without the white frame can also read music/video from an external audio source.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My user manual says that if you are using CarPlay that you can’t play music from the other USB port. I would want to play music while displaying Google maps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My user manual says that if you are using CarPlay that you can’t play music from the other USB port. I would want to play music while displaying Google maps.
Music from your phone via CarPlay + google maps from your phone via CarPlay should work, right?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Music from your phone via CarPlay + google maps from your phone via CarPlay should work, right?
Or Android Auto, i can listen to music via spotify, google music, pandora etc while using maps

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elsewhere on this site, I saw complaints about owners not being able to issue carplay and listen to the USB at the same time. I've not had that problem at all with Android auto

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Elsewhere on this site, I saw complaints about owners not being able to issue carplay and listen to the USB at the same time. I've not had that problem at all with Android auto
Why bother using usb audio with AndroidAuto/CarPlay at the same time, when one could simply transfer the audio files onto the smartphones?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Because. I have 10Gb of carefully arranged Jazz on a USB stick and I can see no point of having it moved to the iPhone.
Yes I can listen to Spotify and use CarPlay for maps...I assume I can, have not yet tried it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Because. I have 10Gb of carefully arranged Jazz on a USB stick and I can see no point of having it moved to the iPhone.
Yes I can listen to Spotify and use CarPlay for maps...I assume I can, have not yet tried it.

BTW thanks for reminding me, I have to book Jazz Fest :)

·
Registered
150 Posts

Hi all, I use both USB ports and have taken note of the one with the "white border" and what it does differently (from the manual) but I treat them the same... for audio, uploading maps/voice etc.

Just to open up the conversation a bit, I use 2 x Samsung 55GB SSDs in my 2 x USB slots. 1 = music, 1 = podcasts and audio books. This allows me to have nearly all of my music (burnt from CD at the best quality I can do). I have to say, I am no audiophile or expert when it comes to sound , but I know what I like. All this is based around the fact that I paid "extra" for the B&W system and wanted to make it work for me.

Now call me whatever you like but I don't get that people are prepared to pay extra for the "premium sound" either B&W or HK Premium and then pay and put streamed music etc through it. Doesn't that defeat the whole thing about wanting to hear (yes in a car it's not like a studio I get that) better quality sound? Steaming data is fine and has it's place, but the quality of the feed is actually the worst format you could use (my opinion so don't arc up). It's like buying the best cut of beef and making it into mince - it just doesn't add up! Even the DAB is better quality than streaming.

I have the B&W system and wanted to exploit it as much as I could.. I have all my music etc stored at the highest bit rate I can get and originally considered a High Res Audio Player but found they were better in most cases than what the B&W systems could deliver in a car (my thoughts only so please don't get prickly about it).

I do use my phone as a phone via the cig lighter socket/charger and bluetooth along with for messaging. I don't use any streaming services or online maps as I find the Volvo GPS adequate for my use (I also check for and download the latest maps every month if I can). Call me old fashioned but it works for me! I do understand that a lot of people want to do everything on their phone (after all nearly everyone has one on their ear) and yes it (streaming) is "convenient" at times, maybe even more so when NOT driving (for safety's sake I hope you're not fiddling with phones when driving near me).

Just my thoughts as I said.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

10Gb is not a whole lot of data. I’m not trying to be snarky but there’s no reasons your media can’t be carefully arranged on a smartphone.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi all, I use both USB ports and have taken note of the one with the "white border" and what it does differently (from the manual) but I treat them the same... for audio, uploading maps/voice etc.

Just to open up the conversation a bit, I use 2 x Samsung 55GB SSDs in my 2 x USB slots. 1 = music, 1 = podcasts and audio books. This allows me to have nearly all of my music (burnt from CD at the best quality I can do). I have to say, I am no audiophile or expert when it comes to sound , but I know what I like. All this is based around the fact that I paid "extra" for the B&W system and wanted to make it work for me.

Now call me whatever you like but I don't get that people are prepared to pay extra for the "premium sound" either B&W or HK Premium and then pay and put streamed music etc through it. Doesn't that defeat the whole thing about wanting to hear (yes in a car it's not like a studio I get that) better quality sound? Steaming data is fine and has it's place, but the quality of the feed is actually the worst format you could use (my opinion so don't arc up). It's like buying the best cut of beef and making it into mince - it just doesn't add up! Even the DAB is better quality than streaming.

I have the B&W system and wanted to exploit it as much as I could.. I have all my music etc stored at the highest bit rate I can get and originally considered a High Res Audio Player but found they were better in most cases than what the B&W systems could deliver in a car (my thoughts only so please don't get prickly about it).

I do use my phone as a phone via the cig lighter socket/charger and bluetooth along with for messaging. I don't use any streaming services or online maps as I find the Volvo GPS adequate for my use (I also check for and download the latest maps every month if I can). Call me old fashioned but it works for me! I do understand that a lot of people want to do everything on their phone (after all nearly everyone has one on their ear) and yes it (streaming) is "convenient" at times, maybe even more so when NOT driving (for safety's sake I hope you're not fiddling with phones when driving near me).

Just my thoughts as I said.
My KISS (keep it simple, stupid) solution is using Spotify off my iPhone. The music I want to listen to on my B&W is saved for offline playback is saved on my iPhone using the Very High setting in Spotify. It’s good enough for my ears and works 100% of the time exactly how I expect it to while I’m moving. My phone stays inside the center console when I drive now that I’ve upgraded to to a SPA XC60. In my old XC60 I had it mounted in one of those suction cup contraptions. I do feel safer with it put away for the drive.

Around here Waze is needed to get around the traffic and to slow down before the police trap.

I only buy the cheap cuts of beef like chuck and brisket anyway. Then I smoke it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
yeah, I find that I have to put the map update flash drive into the one without the white square in order for it to load.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts