SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

new to the forum and wondering if there is a noticeable difference in the IPD bars over stock?

I'm looking at an 04 non-turbo V70 FWD and best I can tell it has 23.5mm front bar and 21mm rear bar.

Will I notice the difference in the IPD 25mm and 22mm bars?

thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Non turbos do not come with a rear bar.
Are yours what you think you have or did you actually measure what's on your wagon?
If you have those bars, someone already installed bigger bars and the ipd bars won't do that much.

If you're all stock .... the difference will be HUGE

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2003 na and added the T5 rear bar. Yes, the difference was HUGE, with just a rear bar added. I can only imagine what the IPD bars would do for it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My V70 came with the IPD sway bars and it was still a boat. The handling wasn't acceptable until I did the following:

- poly subframe inserts
- solid strut brace mounts
- rear chassis braces

The handling is now what I expect from a European car; nice and tight with much better control and no added harshness.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My V70 came with the IPD sway bars and it was still a boat. The handling wasn't acceptable until I did the following:

- poly subframe inserts
- solid strut brace mounts
- rear chassis braces

The handling is now what I expect from a European car; nice and tight with much better control and no added harshness.
Poly Subframe inserts here too and that was a bigger change to handling over the rear swaybar. Turn-in and responsiveness resulted in what feels like a 3-fold improvement. I did not expect such an improvement but I was very impressed; easy install too.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
A rear chassis brace is almost useless... It's a wagon, it doesn't suffer from structural rigidity issues... As for subframe inserts the Kaphlenke ones are the best from what I have heard.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Simply because they are rigid 3D rectangles that if you strip away all the body and interior are a basic space frame structure. Resists moment, displacement and shear because its rigidly connected. There is no allowance for torsion to be transmitted. Any flex is physical material elastic deformation because the forces required to deflect mounts, suspension are capable of being generated while driving BUT the forces required to distort the entire structure have to come from outside the system ie an accident. Also loads are applied at nodes in the structure, making it even better at resisting deflection

TL;DR. VERY Strong, push it, pull it, twist it, bend it, doesnt matter, doesnt care.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Hi,

new to the forum and wondering if there is a noticeable difference in the IPD bars over stock?

I'm looking at an 04 non-turbo V70 FWD and best I can tell it has 23.5mm front bar and 21mm rear bar.

Will I notice the difference in the IPD 25mm and 22mm bars?

thanks for your advice.
Upgraded sway bars make a huge difference. Area = Pi * Radius ^2

Any time you have a direct correlation between a square and a linear change, theres a serious change. Bigger sways are stiffer aka less deflection and change in suspension geometry.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Upgraded sway bars make a huge difference. Area = Pi * Radius ^2

Any time you have a direct correlation between a square and a linear change, theres a serious change. Bigger sways are stiffer aka less deflection and change in suspension geometry.
It's even two steps better than that: Torsional deflection or rigidity is based on the polar moment of inertia, which is a fourth power function of diameter. So double the diameter, and you get SIXTEEN times the resistance to bending. What that means is the proportional increase in stiffness from a 23.5 to 25mm bar is basically 25^4/23.5^4, or a 28 percent increase in stiffness for the 6% change in diameter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys, I have a s80 v8, I know I don't fit the 70 category, but hoping the knowledge here can help out.

I am considering having an IPD rear sway bar installed. I just want to tighten up the rear so it's a bit less boaty in feel and also tone down the body roll on fast ramping (it's not too bad, but I'd like to make it better).

I have the 4-c chassis which I usually drive in sport mode and I'm not looking for a super stiff ride, so would want to avoid that. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Hey guys, I have a s80 v8, I know I don't fit the 70 category, but hoping the knowledge here can help out.

I am considering having an IPD rear sway bar installed. I just want to tighten up the rear so it's a bit less boaty in feel and also tone down the body roll on fast ramping (it's not too bad, but I'd like to make it better).

I have the 4-c chassis which I usually drive in sport mode and I'm not looking for a super stiff ride, so would want to avoid that. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this?
Thanks for any advice.
Sway bar won't mess up 4C...

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Ride is governed by tires, springs and shocks. Sway bars just keep the geometry in check better. There are no negatives to upgrading the sway bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Installing the swaybars is the only negative I can think of. Both front and rear provide unique challenges, but I'd say the rear is tougher.

Swaybars could negatively affect ride when forces only act on one side of the vehicle (very poor roads, pot holes, uneven surface, speed bumps, and dirt/off-road). By stiffening the swaybars you lose some of the articulation provided by the independent suspension. That said, I'm very happy with my IPD sways and subframe inserts, lookinf forward to 17"s in the spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all the info guys. This is a wagon I am looking at and I was going based on the brochure spec for bars. As JRL mentioned this car doesn't have a rear bar.

thanks again for all the other tips.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Thanks for any advice.
The only potential drawback to doing only the rear sway bar is that the handling won't be as balanced. I can't say for sure how it will impact your car but on a 1984 Jetta I owned way back when, installing a big bar in the rear without upgrading the front made for a very exciting ride when you stepped off the gas mid corner. Serious trailing throttle oversteer. With a more sophisticated suspension and all sorts of electronic dynamic controls it won't be as dramatic but it is best to upgrade both ends at the same time with a pair of bars that were designed to work together. Unless you like facing oncoming traffic on ramps in the rain.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you, 02duxv70, duly noted. I will research this some more. I have a front strut that will need replacing sometime in the future, so maybe best to get it all done at that time. Front struts and front and rear sway bars, sounds like a plan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts