SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between R model and standard S40 suspension pieces like shock mounts, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and the like? Or are the suspension differences just in the damper/shock/sway bar?

The cars I drove before the Volvo, Mercedes, had different density suspension rubber in their sport/AMG optioned cars for a while

I’ve been looking for a definitive answer to this but haven’t found anything so far. The reason I ask is, I’m getting some suspension noises and am contemplating just replacing all the suspension rubber because my car has ~130k miles on it. Since I drive close to 40 miles round trip every day on some kind of crappy roads, I’d like to keep the upgrades mild so it’s still comfortable to drive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
R versions of P80 volvos have nivomat self-levelling shocks but I'm not sure about S40.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The R on S40's was purely cosmetic enhancements.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The R on S40's was purely cosmetic enhancements.
Not even dampers/springs? That will make the process a little easier

So that leads to another question. But first , some qualifiers. Like I mentioned in post 1, I drive this car every day. Not only that , some of the roads here are kinda crappy and Denver gets a few decent snow storms every year.

So with that info, anyone who has upgraded suspension, whether it’s just springs or a complete overhaul. Are there aftermarket parts that can be installed that will keep the car comfortable enough for daily driving or should I stick to oem bushings and maybe slightly upgraded dampers/springs? And if anyone has a lowered P1, do you live somewhere that gets snow? How much snow is too much for your car to handle?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The P1's are "R design" (not R model) which is to say they get fancy seat stitching and blue gauges, etc. The suspension options were available, but separate. You can look at your build plate on the passenger side b-pillar rear. There is a thread here somewhere with some of the details.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Not even dampers/springs? That will make the process a little easier

So that leads to another question. But first , some qualifiers. Like I mentioned in post 1, I drive this car every day. Not only that , some of the roads here are kinda crappy and Denver gets a few decent snow storms every year.

So with that info, anyone who has upgraded suspension, whether it’s just springs or a complete overhaul. Are there aftermarket parts that can be installed that will keep the car comfortable enough for daily driving or should I stick to oem bushings and maybe slightly upgraded dampers/springs? And if anyone has a lowered P1, do you live somewhere that gets snow? How much snow is too much for your car to handle?
Everyone, from hq_ here in the forums on up to my local mechanic here that I go to when the job is too big for me to do (rare, but happens) - all swear that going poly on every suspension piece possible will give you the smoothest ride possible. I commute up to aurora every day from the springs and from what I can tell you, I am going Poly on every suspension piece in the book in the coming weeks. It will help your ride significantly. As for being lowered - I know we get some snowstorms - just FYI, you might want to get the skid plate at a minimum - as you will scrape your oil pan over ice/snow without it. Your front bumper cover will just take the beating pushing over/through anything it needs to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vewy intewesting. Is your car lowered now? Or is that coming with the poly bushings? Is there a place online that’s a one-stop shop to source all the bushings or is this a piece meal operation?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Vewy intewesting. Is your car lowered now? Or is that coming with the poly bushings? Is there a place online that’s a one-stop shop to source all the bushings or is this a piece meal operation?
#1 - In theory a 2006 Ford Focus polybushing kit is an exact match to all of ours for under $200. Can't remember the exact year/make/model, but it's what I recall reading. Poly is poly - don't think that anyone one kind is better than the other, as long as it is really poly.
#2 - If you're doing it piecemeal like me - PowerFlex has high quality stuff that you can see a diagram on and where it goes and order what you want, but it's $$$ above #1, and top notch quality. I'm doing it piecemeal so it'll just take a small bit out of my paycheck every month, while ordering the cheapest parts off RockAuto to sacrifice to the poly gods.
#3 - I am not lowered, and because I have 3 children+carseats and a full sized car battery in the back(dual battery setup), I don't plan on going lower any time soon. Also it puts a rather large strain on your axles if you drop - so if you want to, be prepared that if your axles have any weakness in them, the extra strain will exploit it.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
514 Posts
These guys got a reputation worth that price tag?
No idea, really. My son has their full rear arm/cradle kit on his ST205 GT-Four and the fit&finish is first class. There are cheaper bushings out there, of course, and some of them may well be just as good. I've mainly used Powerflex, Energy Suspension and Superflex bushings so first-hand experience of Polybush is a bit limited.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off, thank you all for the great info. But I’m going to slightly derail my own thread a tad

My next focus is on engine/trans mounts. Are stock mounts adequate or is there a combination of stock and aftermarket that is recommended?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
First off, thank you all for the great info. But I’m going to slightly derail my own thread a tad

My next focus is on engine/trans mounts. Are stock mounts adequate or is there a combination of stock and aftermarket that is recommended?
Passenger side: OEM is best and most expensive, but also most reliable. Aftermarket name brand have had good luck but some have had bad luck. Don't buy cheap, ever.
Drivers side: OEM on the 05 is a rubber unit. Easy to do. Costs the same as the hydraulic upgrade kit, which comes with the newer version mount and the arms and bolts you need. Do it if you're a glutton for punishment and like doing things so you can say you did them, otherwise drop in a direct replacement - they last about the same.
Torque Mount: Buy OEM and it'll last for some time and eventually break on you. Buy OEM and buy an insert from Powerflex or the like and it'll last practically forever until the rubber physically disintegrates enough to cause slack. Buy the electric focus (e-focus) - drop in replacement with a solid round rubber mount, considered an upgrade over plain stock. Other performance ones follow the efocus design and use polyurethane instead of rubber and are pretty looking. Can substitute an Mazda Speed 3 version as long as you get the matching bolt for it.MS3 version is the best IMO, it takes the stock design and puts it into a round bushing, so you can still use a Powerflex insert but at the same time it is similar to the upgrade (efocus) one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Drivers side: OEM on the 05 is a rubber unit. Easy to do. Costs the same as the hydraulic upgrade kit, which comes with the newer version mount and the arms and bolts you need. Do it if you're a glutton for punishment and like doing things so you can say you did them, otherwise drop in a direct replacement - they last about the same.
Went oem on passenger side and eFocus for the torque mount. Will the 05 rubber for driver's side work on a facelift car? tia,

686Sport

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Went oem on passenger side and eFocus for the torque mount. Will the 05 rubber for driver's side work on a facelift car? tia,

686Sport
You will need to replace the bracket too but it should work.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

686Sport
No. You're should already be the upgraded version...go to tasca/volvopartslisle and check out their VIN# difference to figure out where you car fits, just in case I am wrong...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts